Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ximcix
    • May 2004

[CMS] Tagging a CMS article makes that Tag the largest in the Tag Cloud

I added a word to a CMS Article & now that word is the largest in my Tag Cloud. This word has never been used as a tag before on my site. When I click it (the largest word in the tag cloud) only one result is returned... the ONE article that it was used it. I have tags that are used everyday in hundreds of threads, but it remains average size in the cloud.

I first noticed this in vB 4.0.8 & I am currently running 4.1.0
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

What tag cloud are you talking about - a widget or a forum block or somewhere else? What do you have set for the configuration of this widget/block?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• ximcix
      • May 2004

The default Tag Cloud at the bottom of Advanced Search page

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

The tag cloud at the bottom of the advanced search is based on the number of searches for a particular tag, not the number of times the tag is used, which is how the tag cloud on the tags page is created. So, if nobody is doing tag searches, and someone does one on the item in your CMS page, then it will be larger than all the others.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• ximcix
          • May 2004

hmmm
          Still seems kinda odd. But thanks for explaining Lynne

I still think it should be looked into, because I deleted that one tag from the database & the next two biggest tags are from CMS articles that have less than 30 views combined. I really think there is something fishy going on in there.
          Last edited by ximcix; Thu 23 Dec '10, 9:47am.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Test it out. Go to some other tags and click on them (which does a tag search) and see if they get 'larger' also.

Comment

• ximcix
              • May 2004

Negative.
              I spent about 30-45 minutes clicking the same tag over & over. Then gave it over an hour to update. 12 hours later that tag is still the same size & the other 2 from the CMS articles are still the largest.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Actually I believe the tag size is based on the number of times it's used, not how often it's clicked.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ximcix
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Actually I believe the tag size is based on the number of times it's used, not how often it's clicked.
                  Ahhh.
                  Thats what I thought.
                  Because up until 2-3 releases ago the name of a particular musician was the biggest tag in my tag cloud. He is the most popular artist in the genre of music that my forum is based around for the last 2-3 years. Then all of a sudden that tag shrunk to the average size & the largest tag as I stated are the ones used in CMS articles once or twice

Another issue I found with tags are, when tagging an article, the auto-complete does not link to, or work the same as when tagging a forum thread.
                  Meaning, when I attempt to tag a thread, vBulletin generates a list of existing tags based on what I'm typing. This is not true when tagging a CMS article with a tag that has already been created or used in the forum. I was wondering if there are two separate tag systems for forum & CMS.

Comment