How to configure the "edited by" notice for posting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigrover
    • May 2010

[Forum] How to configure the "edited by" notice for posting?

Can I set up specific usergroups that can edit message posts without the "edited by" notice being applied? My admins and mods seem to think their old system (v2.X) would do this. The help screen for the usergroup>general permissions>Show edited by not on edited messages says this flag operates in conjunction with the Time to Wait Before Starting to Display 'Edited by' setting in the admincp>message posting and editing options.

What is the interaction between these settings?

The online manual implies that we should be able to set certain usergroups to not show edited by messages. We have those groups set to no, but the messages are still appearing.

What we are hoping for is the ability to set admins and mods up to edit posts without the notice, and for the original poster to be able to edit without notice for 15 minutes or so to fix spelling issues, etc.

Am I missing something obvious?
    Just getting started... Your patience is appreciated.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Look in Usergroup Manager > edit the mod usergroup > Show edited by note on edited messages?

Setting that to No will not remove the edited by messages that are already present. And, if a user puts a reason into that field, then the edited by will show.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• KW802
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Lynne
      Look in Usergroup Manager > edit the mod usergroup > Show edited by note on edited messages?

Setting that to No will not remove the edited by messages that are already present. And, if a user puts a reason into that field, then the edited by will show.
      It might also be something that I ran into with vB 4.0.x -- I had some members in a primary group and had the option turned to "No" but those members also belonged to a secondary usergroup where the option was turned to "Yes" and the "Edited By" was still showing. I was thinking that the setting would be based upon the primary group (since secondary groups normally only add permissions, not take away) but it wasn't working as expected. Once I removed the users from their secondary group then it stopped showing the "Edited By" text.
      [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Yes always overrides a no, unless it is a banned usergroup, then all usergroups that are added also get their permissions, the only time a usergroup won't get permissions is when the base usergroup is set not to be able to have secondary usergroups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...