Will 4.1 address the retarded article system ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darren1981
    • Oct 2007
    • 4.0.x

[CMS] Will 4.1 address the retarded article system ?

Ive got 3 boards... all using the CRAPPY so called CMS... now after viewing traffic stats just about daily... i am noticing (as too are many other webmasters) that the CMS articles are simply just not pulling any form of organic traffic... luckily my main domain is ranking 1st-3rd for several keywords.. so the articles to get some views... but i think in the 6 months ive been using vb4 publishing suit across 3 different sites... ive had under 5 organic hits to a direct article... ive been pulling traffic to my sites for many many years and consider myself a decent webmaster... now i went with vb4 because vb3 was a solid product that worked.. so i stupidly assumed that vb4 cms would be just as powerful... $900- down the drain and 5 organic hits to my articles.... where as i can setup a WP site, and within 7 days i have organic traffic pumping in.

vBulletin now say they are "Listening to their customers" well this is one thing that really needs attention... $300 software and yet it's almost impossible to gain any organic traffic to these articles... where as the FREE (WORDPRESS) platform produces insane organic traffic..

I really am on my last legs with vBulletin as a whole.. and like many others am disappointed that vBulletin continue to try and add new features... yet never seem to address any of the base issues that really should be considered a HIGH PRIORITY...

I am a customer, and it would be nice to have my voice heard for once... i am not being smart about it, but $900 later and i have 5 organic hits from over 50 articles across 3 sites... Please give up with all these new features and start fixing the CMS... there is obviously a major problem somewhere in the cms.. i am certainly not the only one experiencing this.. and please for the love of god please drop the /CONTENT/ Rubbish... this is contributing to bad organic results.... not to mention that PageRank is usually monitored from the main domain... so now domain.com/content/ is rendering established / high PR sites to PR0 which is also contributing to the lack of traffic landing on cms articles...

6 months is long enough to know... well actually 9 months now.. is certainly long enough to know vb4 publishing suit is very very weak... i really hope that you are doing what you say you are doing and actually listening to your customers.
  • Ramsesx
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

This may be because of some failures regarding seo implementation they have done. For example it's really stupid to have first the site name and after the article name in the title. Also there is no h1 or h2 tag for the title.

Comment

• Alfa1
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Wordpress, Mediawiki have this fully covered. Put your articles in that and you will receive good traffic. Actually the same for vbulletin 3 forum if you tweak the settings.
      vbulletin CMS is very very ineffective for SEO and gettign influx.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• punchbowl
        • Nov 2006
        • 4.0.x

I think the cms is too slow to crawl so they don't bother. Or else they bother and they go down the rabbit hole of repeat content and hit reverse then go slurp up lots of easy to read wordpress blogs. The comments forum is:loco: yet as a concept it just won't die.

Still it's a lot faster than it was and I will be using it more and more as it matures. However if Pete the Plumber came to me to launch a website and get his plumbing name around the net, it wouldn't be vb I'd use.

Comment

• Yellow Slider
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Alfa1
          Wordpress, Mediawiki have this fully covered. Put your articles in that and you will receive good traffic. Actually the same for vbulletin 3 forum if you tweak the settings.
          vbulletin CMS is very very ineffective for SEO and gettign influx.
          +1, the CMS is bad for SEO, We're really wasting our time with it, I get much better results with WP.

Comment

• Gizah
            • Dec 2007
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by punchbowl
            I think the cms is too slow to crawl so they don't bother. Or else they bother and they go down the rabbit hole of repeat content and hit reverse then go slurp up lots of easy to read wordpress blogs. The comments forum is:loco: yet as a concept it just won't die.

Still it's a lot faster than it was and I will be using it more and more as it matures. However if Pete the Plumber came to me to launch a website and get his plumbing name around the net, it wouldn't be vb I'd use.
            True, for a long time the issue of site map has been treated like no issue. To date only 30% of my forum is indexed by google and the automated sitemap only fetched 50 pages instead of all site. The native VB4 automated sitemap submission is a joke and doesn't work. This explains why VB4 sites get crawled twice a month, unless you use insane tactics ofcourse, instead of daily as is with wordpress and other scripts.

With google now using load speed as a factor in SEO ranking, I wonder which world VB team lives. Ultimately, we all want to rank first in our niche this is not going to happen if you have a buggy script that take minutes instead of microseconds to load. I have abandoned my site for the last year or so just waiting to see what happens. Not something a seller in case IB should be proud of.

Clean url and site map issues will always send people to VBSEO for as long as SEO remains non priority to the mandarins at VB.
            Last edited by Gizah; Sat 9 Oct '10, 5:07am.
            Visit Travel Form and the new online Soko Mjinga Shop

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Comments is duplicate content by default, as its shown in forum and in articles. And that is on top of the duplicate content issue in threads that already existed.

The method of using threads to simulate CMS comments is nothing more than using band-aid to make up for a missing function. It could be best to make the CMS comment forum inaccessible.

Though that is quite annoying to users, as comment threads will then still be visible in 'new posts'. When users click on the thread, they get a no permissions screen.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• punchbowl
                • Nov 2006
                • 4.0.x

The problem for a small starting site is that a far higher proportion of visitors are going to set off the caching mechanism on their first visit. If you get hardly any visitors googlebot will often be that visitor and googlebot don't like to wait - he'd far rather be going back to 1976 @ calender.php than waiting around on some article or other He'll look for the path of least resistance.

Comment

• joeman
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 4.0.x

Have you guys noticed any improvement at all or is it still really that bad?

I bought the 4.0 publishing suite and have built my whole website around the CMS/article and widget system (with some forum sections as well) but mostly the CMS as the main feature for my new site.

Its pretty disappointing to hear that all this CMS content does not rank well and bring in Organic SEO the same way wordpress and other softwares work... I have spent hours and days working on this new site and it is basically done and now I came across this thread.

I really hope that the vBulletin team is reading this thread and has set this as one of their # 1 priorities since I know many other people that also bought this in hopes of using the vbulletin CMS as a well built and well ranking system with the same great reputation they have for their forums.

I even talked to the guys at VBSEO and they say there is nothing they can do for the vbulletin CMS system and that it is a core Vbulletin issue that needs to be resolved...

Im really hoping sooner than later.
                  www.CamaroNation.com

Comment

• Glenn_E
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Forgive my ignorance... what is considered organic? A registered user?
                    WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

• nakedanvil
                      • Mar 2010

Organic = human. Non-organic = bot.

Comment

• Glenn_E
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 4.2.X

I've been curious what triggers the counts in CMS. I have some articles at 30+ and others at a few hundred. Does vb count non-organic? I haven't analyzed my raw logs to determine who/what is looking at the articles. Is the issue in this thread that search engines are not crawling the articles?
                        WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

• akia
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by nakedanvil
                          Organic = human. Non-organic = bot.
                          I thought Organic was people searching for stuff & Non-Organic was things like PPC advertising etc.

Comment

• Ace
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by akia
                            I thought Organic was people searching for stuff & Non-Organic was things like PPC advertising etc.
                            You would be heaps closer to an accurate definition then.
                            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...