X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivalde
    • Sep 2010
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] Userid the unique key? Please confirm

For my newly established vBulletin forum which is part of an overall owner site, I now have included and tested sucessfully the database manager implementation for site users to change their vBulletin forum username.

Please confirm whether the userid is the unique key all over the publishing suite 4.0.7 including it's forum and it's blog etc. Just for me to know that there isn't any username references in any table (but userid references only) somewhere out in the big outer vBulletin space.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

All sections look at the UserID, not the username
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Removed-836727
      Banned by User Request
      • Apr 2006

Just for info:
      There are some tables/areas where vB also save the username

pmtext,pmreceipt,forum,thread,post,username,log-tables,postedit,etc...

BUT when you rename somebody in the acp, vB updates all the old names (for more info, check the user datamanager update_username method.

It's possible that some add-ons could break the system, if they aren't coded professional, but as said, vB updates the standardentries automatically

Comment

• Ivalde
        • Sep 2010
        • 4.0.x

Thanks for the information.

I would expect all the references to be based on userid as Trevor tells.

So the reason for vBulletin to refer to username also in other tables than the user table itself seems quite strange as long as the userid is the key.

Hopefully, the userid will be a complete unique key in next version. Otherwise, the system is a little (or big may) bit confusing.

Comment

• Removed-836727
          Banned by User Request
          • Apr 2006

The userid is unique!

The usernames in the tables are IMHO needed because of the performance.
          If you wouldn't save them in other tables, you would need to join the usertable for every query, where the username is needed

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...