Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abnvet
    • Jul 2009

[CMS] Question conerning the CMS

I have been rifleling through tutorials and articles for the past few days and I am quite honestly at a loss here.

So I have recently upgraded to the publishing suite from 3.8 with the intentions of using the CMS - however I can't help but feel lost in all the different things you have to do to simply create a page.

I have used cms's before and typically you can create a page that has information and then link to it.

i.e I could create a page that is say "rules" and enter the text and be done and enable that to be displayed as a link on the front page. So when people visiting my site come to the root I can have a navigation on the left and in there it sais "Rules" they click on it and are presented with the text I entered.

Is this possible? all this talk about sections, categories, layout managers - I always felt I was somewhat tech savy but I am having a heck of a time trying to create a decent landing page for my site.

and why in the world am I forced to have "primary content" on a page - I thought this was a CMS, shouldn't we be able to determine what content belongs on our pages? I really didnt think I was trying to create something complex here, maybe someone can point me in the right direction to another tutorial or tell me if what I am trying to accomplish is possible at the basic level.

Additional information should anyone be able to help me I am trying to do this:

have a block on the top left side of site:

Title would be: Site links of interest:

IN THIS IT WOULD DISPLAY LINKS
    I.E

LINK 1 (THIS WOULD LINK TO A VBULLETIN PAGE WITH CONTENT)
    LINK 2 (THIS WOULD EXPAND TO DISPLAY THE BELOW LINKS)
    - LINK 3 (THIS WILL LINK TO A VBULLETIN PAGE )
    - LINK 4 (THIS WILL LINK TO A VBULLETIN PAGE )
    LINK 3 (THIS IS HYPERLINK TO AN EXTERNAL SITE)
  • Videx
    • Jan 2007

If you haven't already, check out http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/conte...151-How-To-CMS and especially be sure to read all of Don's articles.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

I think a Joomla style menu system is warranted as a widget, as they have section and category widgets... but no ability to easily allow a member to create a custom menu which links to pages, ie. like a Joomla CMS can do. You write the link title, find the page and associate it, then hit save and it creates a paged menu system. Sections and category menus are good, but it does lack that last option. At present, you would have to custom code the menu in a custom HTML menu.

Understanding the CMS is actually quite easy... being:
      • Grid - This is the basic column layout to the page / section. You can create and assign a grid to the entire CMS or per section created.
      • Widgets - These are the blocks of content you want to assign into columns or make custom blocks, just like Joomla allows.
      • Layout - This shows you the created grid layout allowing you to assign the widgets you have created and position them accordingly.
      • Sections - These are the article containers, for a basic explanation.
      • Category - These are searchable tags assigned to content for quick narrowing purposes only. If you had 50 articles in one section, you could create categories to narrow specific subjects within those total articles down for ease of finding content.

Comment

• abnvet
        • Jul 2009

Thank you for your replies. So it appears I can do what I want to do but I would have to create the custom code to make that happen. I assumed this would be an option any CMS would have. Oh well...

Comment

• anthonyparsons
          • Mar 2005

I have entered in into the tracker as a feature... so if you want it added... vote it up please.

Comment

• abnvet
            • Jul 2009

will do thanks

Comment

• ChaFF
              • Jun 2010
              • 4.0.x

CMS Section act as Category

Question:

In forum manager > Posting Options > admin may choose "Act as Forum (Will act as category if no)"

I wonder how to do the same in CMS section structure?

For example:
              Cars - I'd like this section act as a category and don't want to see "There is no content in this section" I want it simply Act as Category
              -BMW
              -Mercedes

Sections:
              -Engine
              -Paint
              etc.
              People ask me why I don't like rats. Sorry, I'm not giving you the answer

Comment

• ChaFF
                • Jun 2010
                • 4.0.x

is my question too difficult for stuff to advise?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Categories in the CNS are not the same as Categories in the Forums. The CMS uses them as informational tags, while forum categories are really forums with a hierachical structure.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Videx
                    • Jan 2007

But there's no question there should be categories in the CMS. It's another case where whoever was writing the CMS apparently didn't know or care how the forum has done things for years, and used the same word for a completely different function. Mystifies everyone that tries to categorize things in the CMS.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

A Category in the CMS is just another Section with sub-sections. That will provide that same function as Categories and Forums in the forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Videx
                        • Jan 2007

Right. I can't even argue the point because the same word is used for two different functions. My head hurts already just trying to figure out how to explain the problem.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Yeah, although this honestly has never come up before that I have seen, I can totally understand the confusion.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• ChaFF
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 4.0.x

Well, it's not good than... i've seen customers complaining all over the place that current CMS structure is bull$h!t... but vb stuff says - hay ho - get used to it, it's cool...
                            wtf? sort your sh!t out!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Actually I have never said or implied 'get used to it, it's cool'. I simply stated a fact of how it currently works. I also fully understand the confusion and frustration. Sorry if that was not clear.

Please feel free to make a feature request here:

That is the best way to get these issues in front of the Devs.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...