X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greek76
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.6.x

[CMS] CMS Location

I searched but couldn't find the answer to my question. How do make my cms the default domain. Right now it points to www.example.com/forum.. I want to point to www.example.com. Also is their an option to turn it off incase I want to install something else for an index page?

Thanks
    Acrow Host
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

If you wanted everything to be in yoursite.com, then you should have installed it there instead of in another directory, /forum. However, you may want to check out this thread since perhaps this is what you want - FAQ: How to install CMS in Root, Forums in subdirectory

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Greek76
      • Sep 2006
      • 3.6.x

I screwed up. I uploaded all the files into my forums file like you would with 3.8 series without bother to reading the instructions. I found out how to remove the CMS through my Manage products section but now my forum shows up at www.example.com/forums/forum.php. How can I get it to just show up and www.example.com/forum.php?
      Last edited by Greek76; Tue 27 Jul '10, 12:40pm.
      Acrow Host

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

If your vbulletin files are in the /forums directory, then that path is correct. Did you move the files? If you did move the files, then make sure you change the path in vboptions > site name/url/etc also.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Greek76
          • Sep 2006
          • 3.6.x

My question is how can I get it to the show the forum as example.com/forum instead of example.com/forum/forum.php? Thats a lot of typing to visit the forum. In the 3.8 series it was simple example.com/forum.... Thanks
          Acrow Host

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

If you go to example.com/forum normally the server will automatically go to example.com/forum/index.php. Does yours not do that? And then open /forum/index.php and make sure it redirects to forum.php instead of content.php.

Comment

• Greek76
              • Sep 2006
              • 3.6.x

Not sure exactly what and were I would edit so here is a copy of my index.php..

<?php
              /*======================================================================*\
              || #################################################################### ||
              || # vBulletin 4.0.5 - Licence Number
              || # ---------------------------------------------------------------- # ||
              || # Copyright ©2000-2010 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All Rights Reserved. ||
              || # This file may not be redistributed in whole or significant part. # ||
              || # ---------------- VBULLETIN IS NOT FREE SOFTWARE ---------------- # ||
              || # # ||
              || #################################################################### ||
              \*======================================================================*/
              /**
              * If you want to move this file to the root of your website, change this
              * line to your vBulletin directory and uncomment it (delete the //).
              * For example, if vBulletin is installed in '/forum' the line should
              * state:
              * define('VB_RELATIVE_PATH', 'forum');
              * Note: You may need to change the cookie path of your vBulletin
              * installation to enable your users to log in at the root of your website.
              * If you move this file to the root of your website then you should ensure
              * the cookie path is set to '/'.
              * See 'Admin Control Panel
              * ->Cookies and HTTP Header Options
              * ->Path to Save Cookies
              */
              //define('VB_RELATIVE_PATH', 'forum');

// Do not edit.
              if (defined('VB_RELATIVE_PATH'))
              {
              chdir('./' . VB_RELATIVE_PATH);
              }

/**
              * You can choose the default script here. Uncomment the appropriate line
              * to set the default script. Note: Only uncomment one of these, you must
              * add // to comment out the script(s) that you DO NOT want to use as your
              * default script.
              * You can choose the default script even if you do not plan to move this
              * file to the root of your website.
              */

/** Use the forum as the default script:
              */
              // require('forum.php');

/*======================================================================*\
              || ####################################################################
              || # Downloaded: 21:06, Sat Jul 24th 2010
              || # CVS: $RCSfile$ - $Revision: 31201 $
              || ####################################################################
              \*======================================================================*/
              Acrow Host

Comment

• nymyth
                • Jun 2002

That link will cure your problems...lol
                IT'S WHERE THE NET COMES TO LOITER!

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

That is not a default index.php page. You deleted some of the code. But essentionally, you want to change it to this:

Code:
                  /** Use the forum as the default script:
                   */
                  require('forum.php');
                  And then if someone goes to index.php, they get redirected to forum.php

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Greek76
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Thats not what I want Im trying to achieve. I want a user who types it to visit my forum to go have to go to example.com/forums/forum.php but just to be able to go to example.com/forums.

What I tried to do is a redirect from forums/forum.php to example.com but I get a blank screen when I try that. Any ideas?

Thanks
                    Acrow Host

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

On your server (not a vbulletin setting), you need to set it up so that users who go to example.com/forums actually go to the index.php page in the /forums directory - or to example.com/forums/index.php. If you notice, vb.com has it set up that way and then that index.php page redirects to the forum.php page using the code I posted above.

Comment

• Greek76
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 3.6.x

In my case users need to go to www.example.com/forums/forum.php. I want them only to have to go www.example.com and the forum will be their. I installed the whole publishing suite which is why I think Im having this problem. What do I need to do to make it www.example.com. I use the redirect method but when it redirects users to example.com they visit a blank screen.
                        Acrow Host

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Your server probably has it set up so that www.example.com actually goes to www.example.com/index.php. So, you need to put an index.php file there. So, copy the index.php file from the vbulletin download package, modify it as it says in the file... change:
                          Code:
                          to
                          Code:
                          define('VB_RELATIVE_PATH', 'forums');
                          And it should redirect to www.example.com/forums/index.php which you should have edited to point to www.example.com/forums/forum.php as I stated in post 9.

And it should

Comment

• downloadsUK
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 4.0.x

Lynne, your patience with this guy is stunning.

Comment

• Greek76
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                              Your server probably has it set up so that www.example.com actually goes to www.example.com/index.php. So, you need to put an index.php file there. So, copy the index.php file from the vbulletin download package, modify it as it says in the file... change:
                              Code:
                              to
                              Code:
                              define('VB_RELATIVE_PATH', 'forums');
                              And it should redirect to www.example.com/forums/index.php which you should have edited to point to www.example.com/forums/forum.php as I stated in post 9.

And it should
                              Thank you Lynne and thanks for your patience. The methods you gave me didn't work because their was an issue with my .htaccess. Luckily for me hostgator fixed the problem and once they fixed that I went ahead and did what you told me to do with the post before and it worked. In the end it wasn't vbulletin problem.

Originally posted by downloadsUK
                              Lynne, your patience with this guy is stunning.
                              I wish I can tell you what to do with your statement but it will definately get me an infraction. I think you have a good idea though.
                              Acrow Host

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...