How do you find the right stylevar to edit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

[Forum] How do you find the right stylevar to edit?

So I'm trying to edit a template and having an impossible time trying to figure out what stylevar might be responsible for each element of a template. I thought the background would be handled in the "common" area but I am mistaken. Typically it was easy for me to just get the color from a screen shot, do a search and find out but that is impossible with vB4. (a) I don't know if there is a search for the stylevars, and (b) there is no consistency in color management as some are RGB and some are hex. I don't understand that part but it is what it is. With literally hundreds of stylevars, is it practical to create and edit templates? There seems to be an extremely high learning curve.

I think it's great to try to create dumbed down do it yourself tools but I'm finding them just OK and somewhat incomplete for complete novices and a major disruption for people who do web design. Perhaps you guys have some type of reference guide that might help?
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

This should help you get started.

Comment

• slinky
      • Mar 2001
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Andy
      Thanks, much appreciated. Don't know why this isn't part of a reference section for style creation. Very high learning curve and time to do it... Funniest comment I saw...

43 pages on how to change the colors on your forum, not to mention the blog and CMS. Fantastic.

Comment

• Dead Eddie
        • Apr 2004
        • 3.7.x

Not to shamelessly self-promote...but I'll do it anyway.

I had some of the same frustrations. The documentation I found was inadequate (I don't know if it's since been updated), so I wrote a mod to search through the stylevars by value and return a list with that value. I've been editing stylevars based on my interface over vB's and it seems to work better for me.

Comment

• slinky
          • Mar 2001
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Dead Eddie
          Not to shamelessly self-promote...but I'll do it anyway.

I had some of the same frustrations. The documentation I found was inadequate (I don't know if it's since been updated), so I wrote a mod to search through the stylevars by value and return a list with that value. I've been editing stylevars based on my interface over vB's and it seems to work better for me.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2065021
          Shameless? THANK YOU!

The only shame should be borne by those who didn't care to listen to include such an obvious, indispensable and valuable tool. Instead we get a "mostly done" style generator that is at its best when it sits on the screen next to a lava lamp.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...