X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kozzie
    • Mar 2009

[Forum] Usergroup Question HELP PLease

Hi all,

I have created a user group as a secondary group of the main group registered users.

I thought I had set it up that a registered user would have to request to join - however it seems I have not done that whoops.

Can someone explain to me where I set it up that the user group has to be a request to join user group.

At the moment anyone can choose to join within their control panel and leave as they like - HELP.

I have spent 3 hours trying to find it and cant work it out - also where to I asign moderators to approve the requests to join the user group thank u.

Thanks very much for help.

Kozzie AKA Caroline
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

ACP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > ** Edit your group ** > Public Group Settings

You will not have these settings for default groups, only created groups.

Once you have done that, via profile.php?do=editusergroups a member can access the group.

Comment

• kozzie
      • Mar 2009

ok i went there and there are 2 choices what do I choose and where do I add moderators to approve requests pls/?

Public (Joinable) Custom Usergroups Yes No
      Can override primary group title/markup Yes No

The group I have created is a Public (Joinable) Custom Usergroups

thannks for your patience

Kozzie
      Last edited by kozzie; Tue 13 Jul '10, 1:06am.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
        • Mar 2005

It is either a public, joinable, usergroup, or the members have no access to it directly and are assigned only by super mods / admins, being the only usergroups who have permission to modify user details (unless you use a vb.org mod to allow moderators that ability)

The title markup is only if you want to change their usergroup name displayed, ie. registered user now becomes "new usergroup name".

Public group: To give a member / mod permission to approve users into the group, once you have created the group, from the usergroup main page, drop the box down and choose "add usergroup leader" to the group, which then makes the group public joinable, though whoever you have assigned to it are the one's who must first approve each member.

Comment

• kozzie
          • Mar 2009

Dear Anthony so apart from clicking YES on public, joinable and also allowing permission only for this usergroup to access a particular forum there is no where else apart from above that I have to tick to make it a join on request forum is that correct.

I will test it and see if it worls and let you know either way thank u for your patience - I am still learning.

regards Kozzie - aka Caroline

Comment

• kozzie
            • Mar 2009

thanks so much Anthony it actually is working - phew kind regards kozzie

Comment

• anthonyparsons
              • Mar 2005

Hey Kozzie,

Pretty much on the money.

1. Create group (joinable)
              2. Decide whether users require approval or not by assigning a group leader. No group leader, free for all instant join approval. Group leader assigned, must be accepted first via front-end usercp permissions group. Can assign anyone as a group leader.
              3. Assign to forum permissions
              4. Enjoy and use.

Comment

• mferree
                • Aug 2010
                • 4.0.x

thanks too

Very helpful string!
                Thanks Anthony!

Comment

• plutonash
                  • Sep 2009

Great explaination...Just one thing...I don't get notified by email when a 'Join Request' has been made. Is this possible?

Many thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

There is no email sent for this. The Group Leaders need to check their user Settings page to see waiting requests.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• plutonash
                      • Sep 2009

Thanks Steve, pity though.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...