X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kozzie
    • Mar 2009

[Forum] Question regarding Usergroups and Forum Permissions

Hi there,

I have had my forum for a while and its running very well.

I have a question - I want to have a forum that i can give permission to only certain users to access - in otherwords their user name will be given permission to join.

I have had a look at usergroups and wanted to know if that is an easier way to do it or via forum permissions.??

If I make a new usergroup can i make it only for that particular new forum or which is best way and easiest way to do it.

Didnt want to really do the password thing cos obviously passwords can be passed around etc..

Help

thanks for your patience

Kozzie - Caroline
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Create a new user group, that you will you will want to assign members to as a 'Secondary' user group in their User profile. Or, you can make it a publicly joinable user group, which each user can select [Join Request] from their UserCP. You can also assign selected users to approve or deny the public join request that users can submit through the UserCP.

Either way, create the group in your User Group Manager in which manner you think is best.

Then, via the Forum Permissions window, find the target forum that you wish to control access for.

- Set all of the user groups that you don't want to have access - to deny.
    - Set the special user group that you just created - to allow.

Set any other settings for each group as you see fit in the forum permissions window for the target forum.

Then, edit the users that you would like have access to the special forum. (Or have them apply for access via their UserCP, if you created a publicly joinable group.)

If you need more specific directions or assistance, please just ask.

Good Luck!

PS: Good to see you again Caroline.
    To be updated...

Comment

• kozzie
      • Mar 2009

Hi Caroline thanks for information.

How do I make it a secondary user group and when u say second do u mean it has to be off the registered user group.

thank you

Kozzie - Caroline - also

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Hehe, I was saying good to see you again, Caroline.

Anyway, what I meant was is that when you create a new user group, you can 'base' it off of your normal membership group to save time on having to edit all of the other settings.
        You don't have to create the new group based off the existing group, it's just a point to save you some time.

Each user can be assigned a Primary user group and a Secondary user group.

For the forums I run:

ALL regular members belong to "Registered Users". (this is the primary group) I have several other secondary groups that appear in the User account (in the AdminCP) that I can check and give them access to additional features/forums. That's what 'Secondary' group means, those check boxes in the user account editing screen.

In this case, you probably have a main user group and you need to create a secondary user group. This so that you can assign a few users to it, in order to access the special forum.

When you create the new user group, there will be a drop down option for 'Create Usergroup Based off of Usergroup' at the very top. This will apply the same settings to the new group from the existing group. Then, you can make the changes in the Forum Permissions area for the new group. After that, add users to that group that you'd like to have access to the new forum.

Hope this helps, if it's still a bit unclear, I can go in to more detail.

Originally posted by kozzie
        Hi Caroline thanks for information.

How do I make it a secondary user group and when u say second do u mean it has to be off the registered user group.

thank you

Kozzie - Caroline - also
        To be updated...

Comment

• kozzie
          • Mar 2009

ok that clear as a bell thank you so much -and thanks for your patience.

Comment

• ENF
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by kozzie
            ok that clear as a bell thank you so much -and thanks for your patience.
            Great!

Good Luck!
            To be updated...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...