• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rfi
    • Jul 2010
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Cut off time

Hello

I want now how to increase the Cut-off Time (mins) The number of minutes before a user is marked offline in vbulletin.

In mybb this function is given straight away in forum admin cp but how can I us it vbulletin?

Regards
    Last edited by rfi; Sat 10 Jul '10, 9:31pm.
  • Chuta
    • May 2009

Hello,

Just go to:

AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Session Timeout

And set in seconds your custom value.
    Andrés Durán Hewitt

Comment

• rfi
      • Jul 2010
      • 4.2.X

thanks it help a lot issue resolved

Comment

• wcguy
        • Mar 2009
        • 3.8.x

I could be wrong but wasn't there another post that said if the remember me is checked, it bypasses the timer completely and never logs out?

Here is the official from vb hack on how to autocheckk the remember me.....

Comment

• rfi
          • Jul 2010
          • 4.2.X

thanks a lot for feed back wcguy kindly have a look at following thread I shall be really thankful to you

Regards.

Comment

• cellarius
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wcguy
            I could be wrong but wasn't there another post that said if the remember me is checked, it bypasses the timer completely and never logs out?
            No, that has nothing to do with it. The remember me keeps the cookie active and thus prevents logging out, but if the user is inactive for the time given in the session setting, the session will end nonetheless. Else you would see everyone who checks the box all the time in your users online list, for example.

Comment

• wcguy
              • Mar 2009
              • 3.8.x

cellarius, that's what I thought too. However, read this thread and see if you get a different interpretation of what Zach said.....

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...st-composition...

Comment

• wcguy
                • Mar 2009
                • 3.8.x

thanks a lot for feed back wcguy kindly have a look at following thread I shall be really thankful to you

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-of-the-thread

Regards.
                Sorry, that thread is beyond my paygrade......

Comment

• cellarius
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

cellarius, that's what I thought too. However, read this thread and see if you get a different interpretation of what Zach said.....

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...st-composition...
                  Yes, I do
                  If you check remember me, you won't be logged out - but your session ends nonetheless upon inactivity. You just don't notice, because you don't have to login again if a new session is created. Your session table would be a mess if sessions would not end for users that check that box.

Comment

• wcguy
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 3.8.x

okay, I guess a valid test of this would be to check the remember me box on this forum, log in, hit reply to the thread, type in a few sentences, and walk away for the rest of the day, and then hit post the next morning? Maybe I'll try that tonight.

Comment

• cellarius
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

okay, I guess a valid test of this would be to check the remember me box on this forum, log in, hit reply to the thread, type in a few sentences, and walk away for the rest of the day, and then hit post the next morning? Maybe I'll try that tonight.
                      I do that all the time on my forum (not overnight, but when typing lenghty articles and tutorials). My session is set to 15 minutes, and I'm over that time creating posts fairly regularly. Same goes for my users, who create travel reports.

Comment

• cellarius
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

BTW: This is the code in cleanup.php (in includes/cron folder), right at the top, that kills every session based on inactivity and session timeout set in AdminCP by deleting it from the sessions table:
                        PHP Code:
                        $vbulletin->db->query_write("
                            DELETE FROM " 
                        TABLE_PREFIX "session
                            WHERE lastactivity < " 
                        intval(TIMENOW $vbulletin->options['cookietimeout']) . "
                        "
                        ); 

Comment

• wcguy
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 3.8.x

You wouldn't believe how many times I have lost a vbulletin post because I was typing for longer than the session cookie limit........

the thread I linked to was about just this complaint....

So with the remember me checked, then the session timeout functions as for just showing who's on line, etc., but with the remember me unchecked it also auto logs off the user too.

Or am I misunderstanding the functionality?

Comment

• cellarius
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

So with the remember me checked, then the session timeout functions as for just showing who's on line, etc., but with the remember me unchecked it also auto logs off the user too.

Or am I misunderstanding the functionality?
                            In result, that's correct; but: technically, the user is logged out after the session limit always. But: if the box is checked, the re-login is seamless. You don't notice it, because the new session is created using the cookie that is still present.

Comment

• wcguy
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 3.8.x

That makes sense. But it is no execuse for the the data in the reply box / thread editor to be lost if the remember me isn't checked, and you have to log in manually.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...