X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamahues
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ENF
    Wow. I don't think your host knows what they are talking about. Do they really charge for enabling OpenSSL?

You don't need a certificate for this OpenSSL we're discussing.

What you want is the OpenSSL enabled in PHP so that you can use secure SMTP services through SSL/TLS. *this does NOT require a certificate to be issued*

You can read about OpenSSL here: http://www.openssl.org/

Basically, your PHP install needs to be compiled with OpenSSL.

If you host doesn't understand this... I'm not sure what you should do outside of changing to a new host.
    Last week they screwed up all my files when I asked them to change my domain name. Then I had someone fix them and upgrade my forum. After that we noticed pages were redirecting to my old domain....it has been one nightmare after another!

I will send them the information you gave me and see what they say, but yeah, I am definitely looking into a different host! I need to do some research before making the switch.

Originally posted by Rakaan
    Well you have to make it clear to your host what are you trying to achieve. Just tell them to enable openssl in your php configuration and that should be free or charge otherwise see ENF's last post
    Thank you so much - I will see what they say

Comment

• mamahues
      • Jun 2009
      • 3.8.x

Well, it worked - thank you so much ENF and Rakaan! It's enabled and emails are going out!

After sending the information, they didn't charge me anything....rather strange, huh.

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Excellent news, I'm glad it was finally worked out for you.

Good luck for the future!
        To be updated...

Comment

• dannefaerd
          • Feb 2006

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but I've got an error doing this that I am seeing for this. Can anyone help?
          The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail. The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

Warning: stream_socket_enable_crypto() [streams.crypto]: this stream does not support SSL/crypto in [path]/includes/class_mail.php on line 762

Warning: Unable to negotitate TLS handshake. in [path]/includes/class_mail.php on line 709
          The smtp settings are as per the original post above ... and OpenSSL is enabled.

Any help welcome!

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

That is a server issue which you should discuss with your host.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dannefaerd
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              That is a server issue which you should discuss with your host.
              Thanks Steve. Any indication what I should be talking to them about? TLS/SSL works as a part of diagnotics ... and I have FB link enabled sucessfully ... not sure what I should be telling them.

Cheers
              Martin

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

I would give them those error messages.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment