When will vBulletin impliment a real stop spam solution?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fogjuice
    • May 2009
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] When will vBulletin impliment a real stop spam solution?

I think it's safe to say that there isn't really a very good method of stopping spam. The vB Stop Forum Spam mod gives way too many false positives and the rest let spam through. Just like the facebook connect mods which were horribly done by the modding community, vbulletin took it upon itself to get with the times to integrate other social media tools.

So with that said, when will vBulletin implement a real stop forum spam tool that will actually stop forum spam at registration? Obviously it's impossible to stop 100% of spam but it is possible to stop it 99 times out of 100.
  • borbole
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by fogjuice
    I think it's safe to say that there isn't really a very good method of stopping spam. The vB Stop Forum Spam mod gives way too many false positives and the rest let spam through. Just like the facebook connect mods which were horribly done by the modding community, vbulletin took it upon itself to get with the times to integrate other social media tools.

So with that said, when will vBulletin implement a real stop forum spam tool that will actually stop forum spam at registration? Obviously it's impossible to stop 100% of spam but it is possible to stop it 99 times out of 100.
    The thing is that nowadays almost all the spammers are humans and they will bypass any spam prevention mods/restrictions. And then after they register the automated bots take over. So in my opinion it is pointless to bother stopping spammers at the registration. It would be better to concentrate on stopping them at the forums when posting.

Comment

• is_it_me
      • Apr 2008

My site is small, but I used to use the vB Stop Forum Spam mod and it was rejecting 30-50 spambot registrations a day, but I changed to just using the Question & Answer option and haven't had a single spambot registration on the site.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

vBulletin.com suffers very little spam at the moment between reCapcha, and Aksimet scanning.

We do not use anything else where.

When setup properly the amount of spam you have to deal with is near 0. I think we might get maybe 1-2 threads a day tops that go into moderation, and maybe 1-2 that make it though each week that are not in moderation.

Nothing will make dealing with spam 100% automatic, there will always need to be some human intervention on some point.

The first thing you should do fog is stop using ImageVerification, it was cracked by bots ages ago and provide almost no protection. Use QA or switch to ReCapcha.

Comment

• fogjuice
          • May 2009
          • 4.0.x

How do I enable reCapcha? I cannot find the option for it.

*edit* nm found it.
          Last edited by fogjuice; Sun 20 Jun '10, 12:48pm.

Comment

• borbole
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by fogjuice
            How do I enable reCapcha? I cannot find the option for it.
            Acp-Settings-Human Verification Manager.

Comment