Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rolfw
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fogjuice
    I agree. It is extremely frustrating that you left this in for 3 revisions and then yanked it on the fourth. Everyone on my forum uses it now and you've frustrated a lot of my users. Please release a PHP file so we can put it back and next release create an on off switch in the forum settings.

*edit* I've just fixed it myself based on what Mystics said:

Comment out line 317 to 320 in showthread.php.
    PHP Code:
    //if ($thread['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($thread['forumid']))
    //{
        //eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalid_comment_forum', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
    //} 
    Now open forumdisplay.php, scroll down to line 138.

Replace the following
    PHP Code:
    if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] OR ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid']))) 
    with this:
    PHP Code:
    //if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] OR ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid'])))
    if (!$foruminfo['forumid']) 
    You will have to do this if you upgrade your forum again or when ever you replace the showthread.php and forumdisplay.php files. Hopefully next release vbulletin team creates an on/off switch for this.
    Thanks very much for the fix, spent hours of frustrating time on this, only to find that it's a deliberate bug. Was not used to having this before, as came up from 3.8, but was getting users complaining that the vbcms posts were appearing in New Posts, but they couldn't get access. Brilliant.

Comment

• Michael König
      • May 2001
      • 3.6.x

If you want to use the CMS comments forum as regular forum again, i.e. accesible for all users, you should vote here:

Originally posted by Allen Lin
      I'm going to leave this bug open so that users who share similar concerns can chime in. If a significant number of users feel the same way and vote on the issue, we can revisit the design change.

Comment

• Charlie_Brown
        • Dec 2006
        • 4.1.x

I voted and added a comment too.

Comment

• wcguy
          • Mar 2009
          • 3.8.x

No No no no no......

The vbcms comments problem is due to the implimentation of multiple content types, a basic design flaw that has fundamentally broken vbulletin.

This fundamental flaw has destroyed the search function, and depreciated the value proposition of vbulletin, ie forums.

The only way to solve the fundamental issue, the bifurcation of comments, and take care of 5 or 6 problems at once, is by implementing THIS............

Think, programmers, think!

What are comments on articles and blogs, but the exact same thing as replies to an originating thread post?

Simplify your life, your programming issues, and integrate your CMS and blogs so that cms comments and blog comments and forum "comments" are the exact same thing, residing in the exact same database, with the exact same permission systems, and the exact same search indexing and the exact same quick reply and advanced editors!

All you have to do from a programming point of view is display them differently. Maintaing and debugging three sets of code that do basically the same thing is madness!

Comment

• Riasat
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wcguy
            No No no no no......

The vbcms comments problem is due to the implimentation of multiple content types, a basic design flaw that has fundamentally broken vbulletin.

This fundamental flaw has destroyed the search function, and depreciated the value proposition of vbulletin, ie forums.

The only way to solve the fundamental issue, the bifurcation of comments, and take care of 5 or 6 problems at once, is by implementing THIS............

What are comments on articles and blogs, but the exact same thing as replies to an originating thread post?

Simplify your life, your programming issues, and integrate your CMS and blogs so that cms comments and blog comments and forum "comments" are the exact same thing, residing in the exact same database, with the exact same permission systems, and the exact same search indexing and the exact same quick reply and advanced editors!

All you have to do from a programming point of view is display them differently. Maintaing and debugging three sets of code that do basically the same thing is madness!
            support.

Comment

• Mermaid
              • Mar 2008
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              If you can start a ticket
              I did this and the reply I got was

That is intended in vBulletin 4.0.4
              What is the point of telling people to start a ticket, then tell them in the reply that it's meant to be like that?

Comment

• ashley76
                • Jan 2008
                • 3.8.x

Totally agree with wcguy

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mermaid
                  I did this and the reply I got was

What is the point of telling people to start a ticket, then tell them in the reply that it's meant to be like that?
                  Notice the date of the post? At 0 hour I wasn't aware of the change, easiest way to figure out whats going wrong is to let me have a look. Not everyone was reporting the issue right away.

Comment

• giorgino
                    • Jan 2010

Please insert a switch in adminCP

Comment

• karlm
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 5.3.x

Yes I thought this was a bug, not a 'feature'.... annoying, several complaints from members... and now, because no one can access it as a forum; no comments are being posted in the article.

Thanks for Fogjuice for the temp fix until IB decide to actually forewarn people before plucking away a standard function...
                      Last edited by karlm; Mon 5 Jul '10, 10:54am.
                      VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
                      No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• lifanovsky
                        • Oct 2004

I would only ask that in the What's new section there were showing comments from the CMS article, not from the forum - since users get frustrated once they can't get to some post.

Also, if I make vbCMS comments forum unsearcheble - this means no one will be able to find comment in the articles? This also seems frustrating to me.. Wasn't this understandable from the very beginning that this type of software behavour is illogical and frustrating?

I can't understand - vB developers remove this feature, also some ad places - why its 4.0.4 and there is still so many bugs and also the logic of the software looks undefined? Strange and annoying...
                        Boris Lifanovsky; administrator of the biggest Russian classical music forum

Lifanovsky.com | ForumKlassika.Ru

Comment

• Bram
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Mystics
                          If you want to use the CMS comments forum as regular forum again, i.e. accesible for all users, you should vote here:
                          http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7766
                          What are we becoming here, an election? How about setting up a vote before making drastic changes?

Comment

• lifanovsky
                            • Oct 2004

I think this forum should stay a technical one, making comments to the articles become visible in the search instead.
                            Last edited by lifanovsky; Thu 15 Jul '10, 3:45am.
                            Boris Lifanovsky; administrator of the biggest Russian classical music forum

Lifanovsky.com | ForumKlassika.Ru

Comment

• kontagio.us
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by fogjuice
                              i agree. It is extremely frustrating that you left this in for 3 revisions and then yanked it on the fourth. Everyone on my forum uses it now and you've frustrated a lot of my users. Please release a php file so we can put it back and next release create an on off switch in the forum settings.

*edit* i've just fixed it myself based on what mystics said:

Comment out line 317 to 320 in showthread.php.
                              PHP Code:
                              //if ($thread['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] and !can_moderate($thread['forumid']))
                              //{
                                  //eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalid_comment_forum', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
                              //} 
                              now open forumdisplay.php, scroll down to line 138.

Replace the following
                              PHP Code:
                              if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] or ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] and !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid']))) 
                              with this:
                              PHP Code:
                              //if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] or ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] and !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid'])))
                              if (!$foruminfo['forumid']) 
                              you will have to do this if you upgrade your forum again or when ever you replace the showthread.php and forumdisplay.php files. Hopefully next release vbulletin team creates an on/off switch for this.
                              thank you!!
                              vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• ThalamusGrondak
                                • Apr 2007
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wcguy
                                Exactly!
                                As I said one Year ago! http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...or-CMSarticles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...