VBCMS Comments

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Charlie_Brown: I agree 100%. It's just that he's upgrading from 3.8.4 so it's not taking anything away from him. I understand the frustration if you're upgrading from an earlier version of 4.X and your users had been posting to the vbCMS. He never had it any other way, so it's not a change for him.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie_Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by nakedanvil
    Why would it bother you? This was actually a widely requested feature. Most of the folks that have a problem with it have members that got used to posting comments to articles in the VBCMS forum.
    It may have been requested by some but there were some that wanted it to stay as it was. That plus not including this info in the release notes is a path to upset some people. Requested or not it needed to be in the release notes on this change and how to change it to keep what you already had. Or better yet have the ability in the admin panel to allow or not period. You can't givith then taketh away.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Originally posted by speedway
    Hmmmm, just did a test upgrade from 3.8.4 to 4.04 (using the very latest downloadable version) and got this exact error, even after stumbling my way through the different permission settings. Must say not overly impressed but am glad I put up a test site first so my users can find all these things before I go live with 4.04. I made the mods to the 2 files suggested earlier in this thread and it seems to have addressed the problem......
    Why would it bother you? This was actually a widely requested feature. Most of the folks that have a problem with it have members that got used to posting comments to articles in the VBCMS forum.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Originally posted by wcguy
    Hey everyone, if you don't like / don't want to code change the distrubtion files yourselves, this mod bypasses the problem, creates functionality that is superior to the current vbulletin methodology of handling article and blog comments, and is just a plug in solution!

Vote on the associated bug tracker to help vbulletin prioritize this way to fix the original problem, that their "feature" of denying everyone the ability to post into an article, was meant to address, ie how to have folks comment on an article.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...95#post1997095
    It hardly "denies everyone the ability to post into an article". It simply keeps them from posting them in the VBCMS forum. They can still post them in the article.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Jedi
    replied
    I've seen a couple of bug reports about this. One is mine: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7585

But you outlined the issue far better. Thanks. Its really so disturbing.

Originally posted by Mystics
    As I couldn't find any (???) bug reports about this, I have created one:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7766

Leave a comment:

• wcguy
    replied
    Hey everyone, if you don't like / don't want to code change the distrubtion files yourselves, this mod bypasses the problem, creates functionality that is superior to the current vbulletin methodology of handling article and blog comments, and is just a plug in solution!

Vote on the associated bug tracker to help vbulletin prioritize this way to fix the original problem, that their "feature" of denying everyone the ability to post into an article, was meant to address, ie how to have folks comment on an article.

Leave a comment:

• Michael König
    replied
    As I couldn't find any (???) bug reports about this, I have created one:

Leave a comment:

• speedway
    replied
    Hmmmm, just did a test upgrade from 3.8.4 to 4.04 (using the very latest downloadable version) and got this exact error, even after stumbling my way through the different permission settings. Must say not overly impressed but am glad I put up a test site first so my users can find all these things before I go live with 4.04. I made the mods to the 2 files suggested earlier in this thread and it seems to have addressed the problem......

Leave a comment:

• x626xblack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mystics
    I think this was done intentionally to "force" using the CMS for comments.

showthread.php:
    Code:
    // CMS comment threads
    if ($thread['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($thread['forumid']))
    {
    	eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalid_comment_forum', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
    }
    forumdisplay.php:
    Code:
    // Don't allow access to anything below if an invalid $forumid was specified
    // Also, don't allow access to the CMS comment forum unless user is a moderator
    cache_moderators();
    if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] OR ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid'])))
    {
    	eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalidid', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
    }
    Hey vB! How about you let ME decide what is forced on my forums!

Leave a comment:

• Master_Jedi
    replied
    Thank you too Zachery.

It was such burden to stick with an issue.

Originally posted by Zachery
    Good to hear

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Good to hear

Leave a comment:

• Master_Jedi
    replied
    I'm using Windows Notepad. Let me try that Notepad ++.

Edit: Thank you very very much "wcguy". After editing with Notepad ++ it works perfectly.

Originally posted by wcguy
    Master Jedi, what text editor are you using?

I recommend Notepad ++. The editor you are using could be introducing unwanted characters.
    Last edited by Master_Jedi; Wed 23 Jun '10, 8:03am.

Leave a comment:

• wcguy
    replied
    Master Jedi, what text editor are you using?

I recommend Notepad ++. The editor you are using could be introducing unwanted characters.

Leave a comment:

• ZeroHour
    replied
    I have to say I find vbulletin a complete joke now. Wth dont they EVER tell you proper changelogs. Do they honestly think that users wont notice?
    Right now if this continues in 4.0.5 etc I am thinking to switch to Invision because I am so angry that they cant even get changelogs correct and thats before we get to the bugs...

I have vented my anger about the awful changelogs at: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...tin-changelogs.... I just hope it doesnt get nerfed...

Leave a comment:

• Master_Jedi
    replied
    Neither do I.

Originally posted by Zachery
    I don't see how commenting out those lines would cause anything like that.
    Before:

And after:

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...