VBCMS Comments

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karlm
    replied
    Yes I thought this was a bug, not a 'feature'.... annoying, several complaints from members... and now, because no one can access it as a forum; no comments are being posted in the article.

Thanks for Fogjuice for the temp fix until IB decide to actually forewarn people before plucking away a standard function...
    Last edited by karlm; Mon 5 Jul '10, 10:54am.

Leave a comment:

• giorgino
    replied
    Please insert a switch in adminCP

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Mermaid
    I did this and the reply I got was

What is the point of telling people to start a ticket, then tell them in the reply that it's meant to be like that?
    Notice the date of the post? At 0 hour I wasn't aware of the change, easiest way to figure out whats going wrong is to let me have a look. Not everyone was reporting the issue right away.

Leave a comment:

• ashley76
    replied
    Totally agree with wcguy

Leave a comment:

• Mermaid
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    If you can start a ticket
    I did this and the reply I got was

That is intended in vBulletin 4.0.4
    What is the point of telling people to start a ticket, then tell them in the reply that it's meant to be like that?

Leave a comment:

• Riasat
    replied
    Originally posted by wcguy
    No No no no no......

The vbcms comments problem is due to the implimentation of multiple content types, a basic design flaw that has fundamentally broken vbulletin.

This fundamental flaw has destroyed the search function, and depreciated the value proposition of vbulletin, ie forums.

The only way to solve the fundamental issue, the bifurcation of comments, and take care of 5 or 6 problems at once, is by implementing THIS............

Think, programmers, think!

What are comments on articles and blogs, but the exact same thing as replies to an originating thread post?

Simplify your life, your programming issues, and integrate your CMS and blogs so that cms comments and blog comments and forum "comments" are the exact same thing, residing in the exact same database, with the exact same permission systems, and the exact same search indexing and the exact same quick reply and advanced editors!

All you have to do from a programming point of view is display them differently. Maintaing and debugging three sets of code that do basically the same thing is madness!
    support.

Leave a comment:

• wcguy
    replied
    No No no no no......

The vbcms comments problem is due to the implimentation of multiple content types, a basic design flaw that has fundamentally broken vbulletin.

This fundamental flaw has destroyed the search function, and depreciated the value proposition of vbulletin, ie forums.

The only way to solve the fundamental issue, the bifurcation of comments, and take care of 5 or 6 problems at once, is by implementing THIS............

Think, programmers, think!

What are comments on articles and blogs, but the exact same thing as replies to an originating thread post?

Simplify your life, your programming issues, and integrate your CMS and blogs so that cms comments and blog comments and forum "comments" are the exact same thing, residing in the exact same database, with the exact same permission systems, and the exact same search indexing and the exact same quick reply and advanced editors!

All you have to do from a programming point of view is display them differently. Maintaing and debugging three sets of code that do basically the same thing is madness!

Leave a comment:

• Charlie_Brown
    replied
    I voted and added a comment too.

Leave a comment:

• Michael König
    replied
    If you want to use the CMS comments forum as regular forum again, i.e. accesible for all users, you should vote here:

Originally posted by Allen Lin
    I'm going to leave this bug open so that users who share similar concerns can chime in. If a significant number of users feel the same way and vote on the issue, we can revisit the design change.

Leave a comment:

• rolfw
    replied
    Originally posted by fogjuice
    I agree. It is extremely frustrating that you left this in for 3 revisions and then yanked it on the fourth. Everyone on my forum uses it now and you've frustrated a lot of my users. Please release a PHP file so we can put it back and next release create an on off switch in the forum settings.

*edit* I've just fixed it myself based on what Mystics said:

Comment out line 317 to 320 in showthread.php.
    PHP Code:
    //if ($thread['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($thread['forumid']))
    //{
        //eval(standard_error(fetch_error('invalid_comment_forum', $vbphrase['forum'], $vbulletin->options['contactuslink'])));
    //} 
    Now open forumdisplay.php, scroll down to line 138.

Replace the following
    PHP Code:
    if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] OR ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid']))) 
    with this:
    PHP Code:
    //if (!$foruminfo['forumid'] OR ($foruminfo['forumid'] == $vbulletin->options['vbcmsforumid'] AND !can_moderate($foruminfo['forumid'])))
    if (!$foruminfo['forumid']) 
    You will have to do this if you upgrade your forum again or when ever you replace the showthread.php and forumdisplay.php files. Hopefully next release vbulletin team creates an on/off switch for this.
    Thanks very much for the fix, spent hours of frustrating time on this, only to find that it's a deliberate bug. Was not used to having this before, as came up from 3.8, but was getting users complaining that the vbcms posts were appearing in New Posts, but they couldn't get access. Brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie_Brown
    replied
    Zach I hope you see I or we aren't really pissed but the lack of communication that this was done plus not having an opt in option to those that are used to this feature. To all the others it is simply a ghost to the reply section of CMS it isn't really taking up more hdd space using this like it was. Anyways I hope to see an opt in & opt out option later so I won't need to manually edit all the time.

@Nuke - I see now sorry about the confusion. Yes fresh upgrade from vb3 to vb4 there is/was no loss of functionality.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    Naked, if you set your permissions correctly they wouldn't be able to see that forum. The forum is still searchable, if you disable indexing of new posts on that forum in the admincp it should take care of users seeing them.
    I believe I have the permissions set correctly. Users cannot see the forum, but they still get it in "what's new" and new posts and if they click on it they get the error message.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	3679536Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	3679537

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Naked, if you set your permissions correctly they wouldn' be able to see that forum. The forum is still searchable, if you disable indexing of new posts on that forum in the admincp it should take care of users seeing them.

Leave a comment:

• nakedanvil
    replied
    I thought the only problem was with the widget displaying it and that got fixed. In the "what's new" and "new posts", yeah, that's not acceptable. It should never display anything from private forums to users without permission in those forums. In most cases, I don't even want them to know they exist.

Leave a comment:

• wcguy
    replied
    It doesn't matter, really, because this is horrible functionality as it stands in 4.0.4....

As my post in suggestions shows, the default now will show the CMS article in the what's new results, but then will not allow anyone to click on the article to let them read or comment.

It just shows an error permission denied message, and no one, even a first timer who didn't know the previous funcitionality, should get that kind of message on a board. Rather than the user going,
    "hmmmm. I just got a permission denied. I wonder if I should leave the forum, find the CMS home page, read the article, and then click on comments to be able to participate...."

Yeah, that's obvious. / end sarcasm

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...