Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RowenWindsong
    • Jan 2010

[CMS] Home (content.php) not displaying correctly

I am trying to get this working right but so far I have been hitting my head. I have installed this CMS so many times in the past and never had a problem until now. I went out and bought a theme and it installed fine, no errors given.

Forum, blog, and whats new display ok but when you click on "Home" it all goes to hell lol. I have tried a few different themes that I know work as I just closed down on side so I can use my license on this new site and that theme is messed up as well.

I have gone ahead and wiped the site/database clean 3 times now and reinstalled the site fresh 4.0.3 PL1 install goes perfect no error messages at all. However it never asks me if I want to install the sample data to populate the site with the generic test info.

I get the site installed, upload the theme, import the xml set it to default, go to home page and it's still all messed up.

Content.php is broken here:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CMS broken.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	3718005

How theme is suppose to look (forum as an example):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	forum theme working.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	3718004

Like I said I have done complete wipes and re-installs and it still isn't working right no matter what theme I use, I hope someone knows whats going on so I can get to work on the rest of this site.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rowen
  • iamacyborg
    • Oct 2009
    • 3.8.x

Are you sure the theme is compatible with 4.0.3?

If the site works without the theme, it would be obvious that it's the culprit.
    Gaming Love - A community site dedicated to Eskil Steenberg's video game, Love.
    Body Hacking - Exploring the future of functional human body modification.

Comment

• RowenWindsong
      • Jan 2010

Yes at least according to the theme author as I wanted to make sure it was up to date with the new patch and he stated it was.

Comment

• iamacyborg
        • Oct 2009
        • 3.8.x

Is there any other way you can test it?

Just quickly, here's the theme I'm using on my site (only the XML file). Does that work for you?

If it does, the problem is with the theme your purchased, and you'll need to contact the author to see what they'll do about selling you products that don't work.

PS: I'd rather you didn't use my theme other than for testing, 'cause it's not actually finished.

Comment

• RowenWindsong
          • Jan 2010

Ok I'm not sure what it's suppose to look like without graphics. I uploaded it and I have it turned on, could you give it a look and tell me it it's suppose to look like that without the graphics pack by chance?

Comment

• iamacyborg
            • Oct 2009
            • 3.8.x

That's looking about right, obviously without the background you can't see the transparency effects too well. Here's what it looks like on my site.

The problem is definitely with the skin you bought. You should contact the author and either get them to fix it, or get a refund.

Comment

• RowenWindsong
              • Jan 2010

Ok I have gone ahead and tried out my other server (totally different host) with a theme that has been confirmed as working with 4.0.3 PL1 and it is still doing the same thing for the most part.

Ask you can see by the link to a forum of there's what the CMS is suppose to look like there theme's banner is suppose to be on the top left even on the CMS/Home/Content.php page but it doesn't appear on my page when I view the theme on my site.

This is now the 3rd theme I have tried all with the same effect on 2 different servers/installs. I can no longer say this is a theme designer's problem but something else having to do with VB 4.0.3 PL1 it self.

What is causing it or why I have no idea. I am running out of steam on this one.

The test site I tried it out on was www.isoprai.org (a site that is going bye bye for now) and the forum you can see what the theme is suppose to look like can be viewed here. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241051

Please compare the Home/content.php with the one in the forums preview to see what it is suppose to look like.

Comment

• iamacyborg
                • Oct 2009
                • 3.8.x

Confirmed as working by who? The theme designer or other customers?

Comment

• RowenWindsong
                  • Jan 2010

Both. The only thing I can think of is did they change the download on VB recently? Because I have re-downloaded the theme to make sure it wasn't a bad download as well as VB 4.0.3 PL1 as well, done fresh installs of both VB and theme and now even tried a few other themes on different servers with the same result on all accounts.

The only think I can't confirm is the integrity of the VB download as I have no second source to download it from.
                  Last edited by RowenWindsong; Wed 16 Jun '10, 7:49am.

Comment

• iamacyborg
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Strange that the theme is pulling a different logo for the CMS and Forums, may be an error in the theme's templates, or a very odd bug.

Comment

• RowenWindsong
                      • Jan 2010

I'm leaning for towards bug as I have tried 3 different themes all by different designers that have been rated for 4.0.3 PL1, 2 of which I can confirm via live demos as working on there sites without this problem. Not to mention I have even tried different servers showing the same effect with all 3 themes. It irks me how much time this has stolen from me being able to start setting up and working on the sites content lol.

Comment

• iamacyborg
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 3.8.x

I'm all out of ideas, though you could try reporting the bug and putting a support ticket through to see if it's a problem with your install.

Comment

• RowenWindsong
                          • Jan 2010

Will do thanks for all the advice and help.

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

did you edit the Section and make sure the style was set to Inherit or to the particular style?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• RowenWindsong
                              • Jan 2010

No the instructions I followed basically state to upload the image folder to the image directory and then upload the xml via the styles upload/download section. Then went into the options screen and selected the styles section and made it default.

The instructions that came with the themes I have tried have not stated to do anything else but that.

Comment