X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YZFRydn
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] New Users Not Receiving Confirmation Email

For some reason, new users are no longer receiving confirmation email from the site so they are stuck awaiting registration. I haven't been messing around with any of the settings in a while. I did move my forum to a new server, so, not sure if that may have triggered something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

YZF
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Well, have you tested your email system since you moved to a new server?

AdminCP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email

Let us know what the result of that test is and then we can move forward.
    To be updated...

Comment

• YZFRydn
      • Jun 2009
      • 3.8.x

Tested that and it works fine.

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Ok.

Assuming that the email system itself is working fine, I would try going through the registration process yourself with a test account to see what happens during the registration process. I also would advise checking your email server logs -OR- enabling the vBulletin mail logging feature to see what happens when the email is sent from vBulletin.

For our sites, we use SMTP with Google Apps and can monitor our mail sending very closely. I'm not aware of your specific setup, but I would try what I suggested above and/or monitor the emails to see what happens to them. The logs will show if the mail was rejected at the target domain or if it was accepted.

I can't think of any other immediate vBulletin related setting that would impact this to point where it would not function. Modifications can affect this, so you could check that too.

Lastly, try and pinpoint when the emails stopped being sent and see if any changes were made to your forum around that time.
        To be updated...

Comment

• YZFRydn
          • Jun 2009
          • 3.8.x

I figured out what was going on. Remote mail servers such as hotmail and gmail have so many spam filter policies (spf) that the mails were being sent to junk email. People using outlook aren't receiving these messages in their junk mailbox either. Just an FYI for anyone else having this issue.

Comment

• ENF
            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by YZFRydn
            I figured out what was going on. Remote mail servers such as hotmail and gmail have so many spam filter policies (spf) that the mails were being sent to junk email. People using outlook aren't receiving these messages in their junk mailbox either. Just an FYI for anyone else having this issue.
            A good idea for you, add an additional notice to your user registration page that tells the user that they should check their spam/junk mail folders for the emails. We've done this with some considerable success in addition to getting users to add the system email address to their white lists.
            To be updated...

Comment

• YZFRydn
              • Jun 2009
              • 3.8.x

I don't have time right now to go search through the manual, but I am assuming that I need to search for the registration phrases? Or is there a simple place to implement that so users know?

Comment

• Harv
                • Jan 2005
                • 4.1.x

I have also noticed increased instances of verification emails going to SPAM filters. Not sure why. A reminder, as ENF suggested is the best I've come up with as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...