• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave-M
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.6.x

[CMS] CMS Permissions Again

I thought I had it, but it seems not.

Registered users - I want them to be able to read the CMS, but not create content or publish anything.

I set the permissions according to this in the adminCP (see first attached image), and that usergroup get an insufficient privileges message, but if I set the "can publish" permission to yes, they can then see the CMS.

I knew I had to enable that for the unregistered usergroup to see it, and they can't add any content cause there's no button for them to add anything, but the registered users, I don't want posting in that section, so how do I allow them to see the CMS, but not allow them to create/publish articles?

I've done lots searching, lots of experimenting, but nothing is working for me here.

Any ideas please?

Click image for larger version

Name:	prmissions-not-working.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	3718001

Name:	prmissions-working.png
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	3718000
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

ARe the pages they're trying to view published? Is it or any of the articles set to Hide on Section Nav?

Comment

• Alex Older
      • Sep 2003

Is there no better way than what there currently is? It seems a lot of Permission Errors are appearing.
      Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Giving someone rights to publish allows them to see unpublished sections, which is why I'm guessing he is ahving a problem.

A moderate amount of the permissions issues come from settings not being clearly labled (Show on section nav for example).

Comment

• Alex Older
          • Sep 2003

Could it not be managed like forum permissions are. So editing a user group CMS permissions will reflect if they can post etc instead of having a separate screen?
          Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

• Dave-M
            • Sep 2007
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Zachery
            ARe the pages they're trying to view published? Is it or any of the articles set to Hide on Section Nav?
            Hi,

The articles are viewable by other usergroups, even the unregistered/not logged in usergroup. I've given the same permissions to the unregistered group as I have to the registered as I only want them both to have viewing permissions and nothing else. The problem seems to be that when you give the unregistered group the publish permission, they still aren't able to publish/create content whereas the registered users are, which seems a little odd.

All the articles are published, as are the categories and sub categories. I've just checked and it 100% says they are all published - I had to enable the "allow publishing" for the unregistered group so that they could see the CMS at all, seems to be the same for the registered too and other groups.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
              • Mar 2005

Is the section itself published? Especially the homepage section, as it must be published via the frontend when installed, otherwise it will not work. Changing it to published via the ACP does not work.

Comment

• nakedanvil
                • Mar 2010

I don't understand why you would give unregistered permission to publish. So anyone can come along and publish? Wait'll the spammers find that!

Comment

• Dave-M
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Yes, they are all published and showing as published. Would screen shots help here?

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                    • Mar 2005

Did you touch the vbcms forum permissions? If you have, then you will affect viewing as well. I'm unsure why you would adjust any permissions for registered users, because by default they can read, but not publish, so any changes you have made are wrong in the first instance. This is default:

Name:	cmspermissions.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	3679449

Name:	permissions.PNG
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	3679450

Comment

• Dave-M
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by nakedanvil
                      I don't understand why you would give unregistered permission to publish. So anyone can come along and publish? Wait'll the spammers find that!
                      That's exactly my reason for posting, the unregistered users can't create or publish, even though their permissions are set to yes and they are only set to yes so they can see the CMS, yet everything is published! I have to say that I'm totally lost now and completely baffled!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                        • Mar 2005

By default, unregistered users can read, but not publish... so again, unsure why you would change anything from default, as default caters the exact situation you are asking, but you are stating you have made lots off changes and experimented.

This will be easily fixed... trust me... you just need to understand what you are changing and the effects those changes have.

Comment

• Dave-M
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                          Did you touch the vbcms forum permissions? If you have, then you will affect viewing as well. I'm unsure why you would adjust any permissions for registered users, because by default they can read, but not publish, so any changes you have made are wrong in the first instance. This is default:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]45866[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]45867[/ATTACH]
                          Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your replies

Your CMS settings look like mine, only I've added the publish permissions so that people can see the CMS. The others, I haven't touched, and to be honest, Ii didn't even know those were there, I've been editing them from within admincp->vbulletin CMS->permissions in that grid style editor thing.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                            • Mar 2005

Ok... are you editing at the home section, not a sub-section, as all section inherit from the home section, yet you can change individual sections uniquely.

Can you take a snapshot of your entire cms permissions please?

Comment

• Dave-M
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 3.6.x

Here you go, do you want the settings from inside the sections too? I've smudged some of the usergroups out cause they are manufacturers, don't really want them involved in this

As you can see, I had to enable the publish permissions for those usergroups to be able to view the CMS. Also, there are some padlocks on some of the categories, despite them being published?

Name:	permissions-1.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	3679453Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions-2.png
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	3679454

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...