Groups - Users Must Join to View Content - has no effect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • david4514
    • Feb 2010

[Forum] Groups - Users Must Join to View Content - has no effect?

What I would like is to have a group with non-member viewable pictures (registered users). Only members of the group would be allowed to add pictures. The group is to be set up as invite-only.

Part of the problem is trying to understand Groups. I think that Groups = Social Groups = Permission Groups = Group Permissions. The term "Social Group" is used in the online documentation. The term "Group" is used in the vBulletin->Settings->Options->Group Options. Usergroups use the term "Group Permissions". And finally, under a user's "MyProfile" the term "Permission Groups" is used. Are all of these related to "Social Groups"?

I think they are, but if not that may be part of my problem.

I have set up the UserGroup permissions for Registered users so that they can "View Groups".

In the vBulleting->Settings->Options->Group Options I have set the "Allow Join-To-view groups" option.

When creating my group, I leave the option "Users must join to view content" unset. I also set the group to invite-only. Members of the group can see the pictures. But the Registered users that are non-members cannot. It would seem not setting "Users must join to view content" in a group implies that non-members could view the contents of the group. My experience is that it does not matter what is set. Non-members cannot see the pictures either way. Is this a bug, or do I not understand what this option means?
  • Cybele
    • Jan 2010

I was just coming to ask the same question. The content of the social groups is viewable to members who are not in the group - even the "invite only" groups. How do I fix this?

Comment

• Cybele
      • Jan 2010

I should add that the discussions in social groups were private before we upgraded to V4.

Comment

• david4514
        • Feb 2010

Cybele... Your issue seems to be the opposite of mine. It may have to do with the type of content. I'm presently concerned about "Group Pictures". It is possible that the group pictures are behaving differently than text discussions. My group pictures are not visible to non-members of the group.

Comment

• david4514
          • Feb 2010

non-members rejected at line 3947 in group.php when trying to view group pictures

To repeat with more detail, I would like to have non-members of groupid 1 be able to view the group pictures without the ability to edit, add, or delete pictures of that group. I was hoping to provide access to the group pictures with an html link to:

HTML Code:
          https://www.mydomain.com/group.php?do=grouppictures&groupid=1
          When I am logged on as a member, that is the link that is used to "View All" of the pictures in the group.

However, group.php fails the request based on permissions at line 3947 (4.0.3 PL1) at the following PHP statement

PHP Code:
          if ($group['membertype'] != 'member' AND !can_moderate(0'caneditgrouppicture')) 
          Nowhere is the "Users must join to view content" setting for a group examined. If you are not a member, but can moderate edited pictures, you are ok. But there is no capability to allow non-members to view the pictures. It would seem that if there is an option titled "Users must join to view content" and you choose to not set that option, then non-members should be able to view the content.

Comment

• Cybele
            • Jan 2010

No worries - I will start a new thread, hope someone comes along with a solution for you.

Comment