Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kontagio.us
    • Aug 2009

[CMS] Embedded Youtube Specific Start Time

There's a way to start a Youtube video at a specific time. It's perfect for showing people a certain time of a video.

All you have to do is add &start=30 to the end of the address.

The problem is that when I use it with the CMS it doesn't work. I tried the video bbcode and the embed code in vBulletin and neither worked.

Edit: It works when I use it on a blank HTML page.
    Last edited by kontagio.us; Tue 8 Jun '10, 4:33pm.
    vBulletin Rules!
  • kontagio.us
    • Aug 2009

I still can't get it to work when embedding in an article.
    vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

Create your own custom bbcode via the ACP > BBCode settings. Embed the full custom code you want to use, swap out the video id for the parameter given in the process, and then just enter the bbcode you setup with the id of the video, and your all done. It will render then when you bring custom code from the backend via bbcode.

Comment

• kontagio.us
        • Aug 2009

I don't really understand what you're saying. Would I have to make a new BB Code for every time interval that I want to use? Is there a way I can make an option or a second parameter for the time.

Code:
        <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" 
        value="http://www.youtube.com/v/[B]{param}[/B]&start=[B]{param2}[/B]"></param><embed 
        src="http://www.youtube.com/v/[B]{param}[/B]&start=[B]{param2}[/B]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
         width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
        So I could set the time and the video with one code? [youtube=param2]param1[/youtube]
        vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• Riasat
          • Aug 2006

you can't do it in this way. you'll need to modify video bbcode's actual code and include a new option to specify time.
          you can suggest it in the suggestion forum or the new tracker.

Comment

• kontagio.us
            • Aug 2009

I'm very familiar with editing the default BB Codes. style manager > edit templates > bbcode layout templates > bbcode_video

I'm sure it can't be hard to add an option. It might be similar to the Quote BB Code. I think it will require a <vb:if> statement and I don't know the first thing about those.

I'm totally lost here and any help would be appreciated.

@CvP: It's not a bug so I don't think the tracker would be appropriate. I'll try adding it to the suggestion forum but it will ultimately be a link to this thread. I still thank you for your help.
            vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• Edwin Brown
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Mar 2009
              • 5.5.x

I had no trouble with <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rwRdqkEcmbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=30"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rwRdqkEcmbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=30" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It worked for me in v403 and v404. Did you look at what rendered code you get?
              Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• kontagio.us
                • Aug 2009

When I tried using the embed html code it didn't work the first time. Thanks Edwin, you always seem to come up with the most obvious and easy answer.
                vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• nakedanvil
                  • Mar 2010

Nicely done Edwin. Using that in a BB code it just becomes part of the {param}, just need to enter the video URL+&start=XX. Very cool!

Comment

• kontagio.us
                    • Aug 2009

It doesn't seem to work when you use it with the BB Code. That was the whole point of the thread. If you use the embed code instead it solves it though, so it's fixed.
                    vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• nakedanvil
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by kontagio.us
                      It doesn't seem to work when you use it with the BB Code. That was the whole point of the thread. If you use the embed code instead it solves it though, so it's fixed.
                      Your original post indicated that it wouldn't work for you as embedded or as a BB code. I tested both ways and it worked the same in either. With BB code you don't need to enable HTML, always good to avoid and makes it possible for your users to use it too. If you had done a custom BB code as Anthony suggested you would have seen that it works fine.
                      Last edited by nakedanvil; Sat 12 Jun '10, 1:05am.

Comment

• kontagio.us
                        • Aug 2009

Yeah it was a problem with a couple things on my end with the CMS, but it's all good now.
                        Last edited by kontagio.us; Sat 12 Jun '10, 5:33am.
                        vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                          • Mar 2005

Glad you got it sorted Kontagio... sorry, had quite a busy weekend with social events which had me caught up. Glad you worked out though the param and option ability via bbcode. It does work quite well once you wrap your head around it. Well done.

Comment

• kontagio.us
                            • Aug 2009

Sorry I didn't mean to post this. Just for people looking for an answer:

Code:
                            <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}&hl=en_GB&fs=1&start={option}"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}&hl=en_GB&fs=1&start={option}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
                            Then use [youtube=30]njasdf9[/youtube]
                            vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                              • Mar 2005

Exactly... this is why bbcode has two values, being the {param} and {option}, allowing two unique identifiers just for such an occasion as needing that second variable field from within the bbcode itself.

Comment