• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xabo
    • Mar 2010

[CMS] Question regarding CMS

Hello,

Im having the CMS Publishing suite, but have a question;

Is there any way to fix so guests/unregistered users only can see the preview of the artchicle and if they click "read more" they get a permission warning?

\\ x
    Oddseksperten.no - For deg som spiller for å vinne!
    NetWorld.no - The world is yours!
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

You would have to look at wrapping conditionals in some of the vbcms templates, depending on which the permissions reach. I am pretty sure they control the sections templates, not the actual content itself, so this is going to be the issue... as once you give them permission to a section, they can see all sections.

If memory serves correctly, someone did release a snippet type mod on vb.org that shows snippets, but you must register to view all the content.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2009
      • 5.5.x

There actually is another way, which may be acceptable. This allows guests to read previews on the home page only.

1) Put all your articles that you don't want unregistered users to read in one or more subsections. Have some "Hi welcome to our site" stuff in the home section
      2) Deny "read" access to unregistered users in the subsections
      3) Make sure "permission preview" is set for any subsection articles that will be visible on the home page.
      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• jdj
        • Jan 2009
        • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Edwin Brown
        There actually is another way, which may be acceptable. This allows guests to read previews on the home page only.

1) Put all your articles that you don't want unregistered users to read in one or more subsections. Have some "Hi welcome to our site" stuff in the home section
        2) Deny "read" access to unregistered users in the subsections
        3) Make sure "permission preview" is set for any subsection articles that will be visible on the home page.
        How do you do this? I keep trying this but it doesn't seem to work, whatever I click in the permissions section of the CMS in control panel. I'm sure I must be missing something but cannot see what it is. Is it something to do with either the "show on section widget" or "pagination links" button available to you when you try and edit an article, or is it something else?

Comment

• Edwin Brown
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2009
          • 5.5.x

The show on section widget setting is described at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php?2407-Static-Pages and http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php?2406-New-Section-Display-Settings. It's hard to guess what's wrong when we don't know what your site is, we can't see your settings, and we don't know what the actual behavior is. If you're sure you've done what I said above I would create a support request.
          Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...