• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Regs
    • May 2001
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] uninstall pre-vB4 modifications causes severe errors

Hi,

I've get a pretty severe error when uninstalling modifications that were written for vB 3.x on my vB4 installation.

All of these modifications were disabled before upgrading.

Here is the error returned when uninstalling (I've included just the relevant bits):

Code:
    Database error in vBulletin 4.0.3:

Invalid SQL:
    DELETE FROM  blocktype WHERE blocktypeid NOT IN (-1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);

MySQL Error   : MySQL server has gone away
    Error Number  : 2006
    Request Date  : Monday, June 7th 2010 @ 09:02:21 AM
    Error Date    : Monday, June 7th 2010 @ 09:02:22 AM
    Script        : .../admincp/plugin.php?do=productkill
    Referrer      : .../admincp/plugin.php?do=productdelete&productid=sz1_gallery_cmps&s=
    IP Address    : xxx
    Username      : xxx
    Classname     : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :
    It's severe because when I do this, it kills MYSQL on the SERVER COMPLETELY - I have to immediately restart the mysqld service in order to get all other databases on the server working.

I've searched here but haven't seen any other reports of similar behavior.

Cheers,

Regs.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

"MySQL Server has gone away" is a server issue. See this: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/t...mysql_goneaway and this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...265#post310265

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Regs
      • May 2001
      • 4.2.X

Ummmm, right... I'm reporting here that initiating the uninstall product/plugin in vB4 IS THE DIRECT CAUSE for borking mysql.

Comment

• setishock
        • Jun 2005
        • 4.2.x

It's not a problem with VB4. It's a procedural problem on your part. Thread after thread here has stated that VB3.x mods, hacks, products, and plugins do not work with VB4. You should have uninstalled them prior to doing the upgrade.
        Try going in and disabling the hooks then uninstall them. Sounds like they're still hooked in.

Comment

• Regs
          • May 2001
          • 4.2.X

Step 1. Close forums
          Step 2. Disable all modifications before upgrading
          Step 3. Add line in config.php that disables hooks before upgrading
          Step 3. Set vB Default theme/style as, erm, default style
          Step 4. perform upgrade to vB4
          Step 5. Remove line in config.php that disables hooks
          Step 6. Install upgraded modifications that are available for vB4
          Step 7. Enable upgraded modifications
          Step 8. Uninstall vB3 modifications that I've decided I don't want to upgrade or use any more.

None of the vB3 modifications have EVER been enabled after the vB4 upgrade.

From the information I gathered BEFORE upgrading, uninstalling mods isn't a 100% prerequisite. I would lose data in all of them that I wanted going forward and that is not desirable.

So I would like to think that there is no procedural problem on my part. Perhaps a reading comprehension issue on yours though as I clearly stated in the original post that I disabled all modifications before upgrading. Speak to me like a child again and I'll stomp my feet and hold my breath until I turn blue (like the default vB theme)

That being said, even if I did leave vB3 modifications enabled, do you think the productkill function should kill mysql for the whole server?

Actually, let me clarify that a bit more:

1. I get the error message
          2. I refresh the adminCP in the browser
          3. I have to login again - this is interesting: the database that vB is in is still up - all other databases on the server however are "down", I need to immediately restart the mysqld service to get them all functioning again.
          4. The vB3 modification I was deleting seems to have been deleted.

It's just really odd and I thought it was worthy of bringing to the vB teams' attention.

Cheers,

Regs.

Comment

• goyo
            • Dec 2002

Funny issue. How can a modification uninstallation take down mysqld ?

Is there any mysql error log ?

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Like goyo asked, is there anything in your mysql logs? I've never heard of something like this happening before.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Regs
                • May 2001
                • 4.2.X

Turns out that it is some obscure issue with the host control panel on the server (Ensim).

Too many database connection errors will stop mysql in it's tracks until either a restart or flush command for mysqld is done.

I feel a bit better now though it's still a bit perplexing that uninstalling disabled vB3 modifications is the initial cause.

Cheers,

Regs.

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Thanks for posting back with an update of the issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...