Clear All
  • ibaker
    • Oct 2004

[CMS] Home - Home (twice) showing in Breadcrumb

I have the suite and it is installed in root/forum

The breadcrumb in the forums shows correctly with:
    Home (root) -> Forums

The breadcrumb in the CMS shows:
    Home (root) -> Home (forum/content.php) -> Articles (the CMS homepage name)

Any idea how I can get rid of the double Home links in the breadcrumb?

Thanks
    Best regards
    Ian
    "Everyone wants to fly, but some people just haven't realised it yet"
    www.recreationalflying.com
    NOTE: This post remains solely the property of the poster and any reference to it is done so by the acceptance of this condition. Also elements of whatever I posted were previously used by a competing site so the post is also made on the condition that it can not be used by Glenn Inwood of Cowra NSW Australia or anyone associated with him.
  • SnitchSeeker
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.8.x

Wow, no replies to this thread?!!

I am having the exact same issue and it is frankly quite annoying! Please somebody provide some help here.

Comment

• ComputerNinja
      • Oct 2005

Nobody can help?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Is this happening in a default style or a customised style? How are your sections setup?
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• SnitchSeeker
          • Aug 2004
          • 3.8.x

Thanks for finally responding. This happens in all styles, default or customized.

How are my sections setup?

I have one main section, called "Home"

Home has sub-sections.

I notice that forums and blogs don't even list "Home" in the breadcrumb. I find that annoying but I guess that may be just me. However this issue MUST be a bug, or I (and the person who started this thread) am not understanding how sections work.

Comment

• SnitchSeeker
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.8.x

I notice that both "home" links in the breadcrumb trail take me to the exact same page. I can change the name of "Home" to "The Front Page" and that changes the second "Home" in the breadcrumb, but it still shows a parent "Home" which really isn't a page it seems. Since clicking it only takes me to the same "The Front Page".

This is complicated and confusing...

Comment

• ibaker
              • Oct 2004

The only way I fixed it was to rename my main CMS section to Magazine and then I got Home -> Magazine -> etc but I only use CMS as an Article section and I use vBa CMPS as my site home page...lets face it CMS IS only an Article or Magazine type of product whereas vba CMPS is a full site home page portal and complete site wrapper that you can use to do so much more wrapping your whole site around it and if you also use vba Dynamics then again you have another powerful Article section with widgets etc and it is much easier to use for your users.

Hope this helps
              Best regards
              Ian
              NOTE: This post remains solely the property of the poster and any reference to it is done so by the acceptance of this condition. Also elements of whatever I posted were previously used by a competing site so the post is also made on the condition that it can not be used by Glenn Inwood of Cowra NSW Australia or anyone associated with him.

Comment

• SnitchSeeker
                • Aug 2004
                • 3.8.x

Thanks Wilfred, however that is still not "FIXED" because both "Home" and "Magazine" (in your case) link to the exact same page. Either "Home" should be removed completely from the breadcrumb (it's not there when you're on blogs or forums anyway?) or the second "Home" should be removed.

This must be considered a bug! Why aren't the vb peeps doing anything about it?

Comment

• SnitchSeeker
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Well, apparently the geniuses here (sorry to offend) did this on purpose, so I am forced to start a "bug report" which I did here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-8069

The snarky recommended "fix" is to simply call our home page something else, like The Front Page. Of course, that doesn't solve the absolute redundancy of having a HOME link in the breadcrumb that SERVES NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER!!! (since it simply links to the same page as the second link in the breadcrumb!)

I hope a professional UI designer works for IBP/vBulletin Solutions and can have power enough to get this done right. It's a usability problem, confusing, and annoying as hell.

Comment

• ibaker
                    • Oct 2004

Here is an even better one for you Snitch...Home -> Home -> Home
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	zzz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	3679702

This is cms out of the box but I use vba CMPS as my home page and vb cms just as an articles/magazine section. There is an extra Home because of vba cmps - the only way to fix all this that I can see is some editing of the breadcrumb template
                    Best regards
                    Ian

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...