How to launch Yahoo Instant Meesenger application versus website ...???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vilhiem
    • Apr 2010

[Forum] How to launch Yahoo Instant Meesenger application versus website ...???

Is it possible when the user clicks the Yahoo IM icon next to someone's name ... that instead of opening the Yahoo IM website ... that it instead launches the Yahoo IM application (assuming it's already installed) ...?
  • vilhiem
    • Apr 2010

anyone ...?

Comment

• Videx
      • Jan 2007

I don't know. But most text in vb is in Phrases. Have you searched there?

Comment

• vilhiem
        • Apr 2010

huh ...?

Comment

• setishock
          • Jun 2005
          • 4.2.x

The icons for the IM's don't call up the program off your local computer. They are enabled when the user wants to show they have those and possibly could be contacted through them. VB itself doesn't have anything to do with them otherwise.
          If they did it would require a more intimate connection to every online members local computer that I personally would rather you not have. Could be a royal disaster if you got hacked.

Comment

• Biker
            • Oct 2003

Not to mention, not everyone uses the Yahoo IM program. I use Pidgin when I'm booted into Linux and Trillian when I'm using Windows.
            I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• vilhiem
              • Apr 2010

I'm just saying whatever "LINK" you click next to the person's profile ... be it Skype, Yahoo, etc ... that instead of launching a web page for Skype, or Yahoo, or whatever ... That it insteads LAUNCHES the corresponding IM application. To address Biker's point, perhaps options could be added in the ACP as to what happens when these specific icons are clicked.

Comment

• setishock
                • Jun 2005
                • 4.2.x

You're not paying attention. I gather you want to click on BillyBob's yahoo icon and have it open his IM as well as yours. It would require something like a BHO or activeX to constantly maintain a connection to the icons in the forum. If I'm following you and I think I am, not only are you asking me to let you control functions on my computer, but if hacked or cracked could let you in deeper to my computer. Last person that hacked my baby opened my sandbox and regretted that visit.
                But not only is it a security risk no one in thier right mind is going to take but imagine the bandwidth burned up at the host and at the member's ISP.
                Now as for clicking on the icon next to your name and have it open your IM, sure you can do that. Embed a link in the icon pointing to a macro on your computer. Have the macro open your IM and log you in.

Comment

• Videx
                  • Jan 2007

No, I think they all make widgets though, don't they? Just put a widget in the CMS or a forum block. Agree this will likely only open your own messenger app, not the other person's.

Comment

• vilhiem
                    • Apr 2010

What are y'all smoking ...?

Yahoo Groups does this all the time! Check it out. Go join a group if you're not in one, then look at a message posting that has a Yahoo IM indicator (similar to the indicator here that shows if someone is online) ... and CLICK it and see what happens,

Wadda-u-Know ... it opens the Yahoo IM application.

There's no security risk.

Never said I wanted it to open "another person's Yahoo IM application" ... I'm talking about your own.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...