• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bogley
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] vBulletin too late - Facebook Connect will cease to exist

Facebook to Kill Facebook Connect

Facebook Connect, the company’s tool for bringing your social graph to third-party websites, will soon be no more.
    During a press conference today at Facebook’s F8 conference in San Francisco, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced that the Facebook Connect brand would be eliminated as part of the launch of Open Graph. Instead, the company is standardizing the interactions between Facebook and third parties via Facebook’s new Open Graph protocol and the OAuth 2.0 standard.
    Earlier today, Zuckerberg announced the Open Graph protocol and API, which will allow developers to more easily access social graphs and integrate them with their web services. Yelp, Pandora and Microsoft are among its 30 plus launch partners.
    Because of these changes in policy and philosophy, the “Facebook Connect” brand will cease to exist. It’s still not clear exactly how Facebook will replace Facebook Connect or if it will be called something else.
  • IB Adrian
    Former Senior Operations Manager
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.6.x

That is actually really great news, it will allow a much higher level of interaction for facebook with vBulletin

On edit: thanks for the link to the article!
    Adrian

Comment

• Loco.M
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.5.x

I just read about this as well, can't wait for the updates
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

By the title of the thread I was hoping that Facebook finally imploded.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Eqvaliser
          • Apr 2008
          • 1.1.x

Not only great news for vbulletin, but its great news for anyone who wants site intergration with face book
          or develop applications to run on facebook..

Vbulletin fan

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
            • May 2007
            • 3.6.x

Does this mean that the ugly fb connect button will disappear as well?
            s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• Riasat
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by s0lidgr0und
              Does this mean that the ugly fb connect button will disappear as well?
              it will be replaced with an OpenGraph ugly button

Comment

• bogley
                • Dec 2009
                • 3.8.x

I was just ready to upgrade to vb 4.0.3 and use the long awaited facebook connect. Rather than unleash it and say "oops - nevermind", I'll just hold off on upgrading for a while.

How long has Facebook Connect been available? 15 months?

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
                  • May 2007
                  • 3.6.x

A few weeks, as a part of the default software.
                  s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• bogley
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by s0lidgr0und
                    A few weeks, as a part of the default software.
                    No, I meant how long has Facebook Connect been available from Facebook, and vbulletin finally comes on board as it's being discontinued.

Comment

• smirkley
                      • Feb 2008

I suspect with the new upcoming Facebook API, the vB integration should be more thorough and functional, no?

Comment

• vijayninel
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Interesting article here as well http://mashable.com/2010/04/21/open-graph-privacy/
                        www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

• bogley
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by smirkley
                          I suspect with the new upcoming Facebook API, the vB integration should be more thorough and functional, no?
                          Yes, it's great news overall. I'm looking forward to a modification adding the Like button on each thread, things like that. But it's unfortunate timing for rolling out the Facebook Connect right when it's being discontinued.

I am in no way saying Facebook functionality is dead now, just that I was excited to roll out the "official" vbulletin method of FB Connect literally within hours of reading that Mashable article.

So now I wait again.

True, I could just enable it now and let my members use it. But it's poor forum management to introduce your members to a new function knowing that it's going to go away or completely change to something else in the near future.

If vbulletin can quickly adjust for this in vb 4.0.4 by incorporating the "Like" button instead, that would be nice.

Comment

• worried
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by bogley
                            But it's poor forum management to introduce your members to a new function knowing that it's going to go away or completely change to something else in the near future.
                            You can think of using FB Connect as introduction with more to come. I think people exposed to FB Connect will be more likely to use the new interface. Who knows when this new interface will be implemented. I'd rather not wait.

Comment

• bogley
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 3.8.x

I just installed the "Like" button on each of my threads, hoping this will give a good view of things to come. But still, look how fast that was made available in relation to the change - today. And then the whole facebook connect thing comes out just days before the discontinued announcement.

Sure there are mods and addons that we can try at our own risk that have been available for a while, but it would seem to me that vbulletin would have official addons like this as part of the package much sooner, especially when they were proven to increase forum traffic and membership.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...