Category Widget Types - What is the DIFFERENCE?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NashChristian
    • May 2008

[CMS] Category Widget Types - What is the DIFFERENCE?

What is the difference between the Category Widget (Show-All, Top-Down, and Bottom-Up)?

In 4.0.3 I can't visually detect any difference at all between the three types.

Thanks.
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Make a whole lot of sub categories, then add the widgets. You will see the difference then.

Basically:

Cat A
    ---Cat Aa
    --------Cat Aa1
    ---Cat Ab
    ---Cat Ac
    ------Cat Ac1
    ------Cat Ac2

Pop the Top-Down into Ac, you won't see Ac1 or Ac2. And suchlike. (or the other way round, I cant remember).
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• NashChristian
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Ace
      Make a whole lot of sub categories, then add the widgets. You will see the difference then.

Basically:

Cat A
      ---Cat Aa
      --------Cat Aa1
      ---Cat Ab
      ---Cat Ac
      ------Cat Ac1
      ------Cat Ac2

Pop the Top-Down into Ac, you won't see Ac1 or Ac2. And suchlike. (or the other way round, I cant remember).
      I've got about 10 cats, and I can't see any difference.

Also, my subcategories are not listed under their parent, but are all alphabatized at a root level. I'm really trying to get the children to display under thier parents. In the "create new article" interface they are grouped, but not (at all) in the widget.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by NashChristian
        I've got about 10 cats, and I can't see any difference.

Also, my subcategories are not listed under their parent, but are all alphabatized at a root level. I'm really trying to get the children to display under thier parents. In the "create new article" interface they are grouped, but not (at all) in the widget.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!
        If all of the Categories are at the root level, then there will be no discernible difference in the 3 widgets, they are for to show/hide sub/parent categories based on relative depth from current Category.
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• NashChristian
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Ace
          If all of the Categories are at the root level, then there will be no discernible difference in the 3 widgets, they are for to show/hide sub/parent categories based on relative depth from current Category.
          Sorry, I'm not articulating this clearly. Through the AdminCP, I have my categories setup to be two levels deep. For example:
          • Articles
            • Christian Living
            • Community
          • Music
            • CCM
            • Worship
            • Promos
          • Videos
          However in the WIDGET DISPLAY they are appearing like this:
          • Articles
          • CCM
          • Christian Living
          • Community
          • Music
          • Promos
          • Videos
          • Worship
          Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks!

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

That would suggest that specific widget is the All Categories one.

Can you see a difference if you put all of the widgets into Music - CCM?

(Its easier if you can see what they do, rather than my garbled description. )

Comment

• NashChristian
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Ace
              That would suggest that specific widget is the All Categories one.

Can you see a difference if you put all of the widgets into Music - CCM?

(Its easier if you can see what they do, rather than my garbled description. )
              Do you have a link to a site where I can see categories and child categories displayed in a parent>child relationship in the widget module? Even on vB.com, either every category is at the root level, or this doesn't display properly. (I dont' see any defined subcategories.)

I actually have a test site, with all three widgets on top of one another to compare, and I don't see any difference between them, and everything appears on the same level with complete disregard to the subcategories I have created. It would help to see a good functioning example.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Edwin Brown
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Mar 2009
                • 5.5.x

The current widgets don't display the hierarchy. We have a long list of enhancements we want, and on that list is to render the hierarchy. The different between them will show if you have a section hierarchy and you navigate around.
                Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• NashChristian
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Edwin Brown
                  The current widgets don't display the hierarchy. We have a long list of enhancements we want, and on that list is to render the hierarchy. The different between them will show if you have a section hierarchy and you navigate around.
                  So I'm not going crazy after all. Good to know.

Thanks for the confirmation Edwin.

Tell me, is adding moderation to inserted videos and images inserted from a URL also on this future list of enhancements?

Thanks.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 5.5.x

We're trying develop a process that ensures that customer requests, needs, feedback, complaints, etc. are properly reflected in our development plans. That process is not yet in place. I have a personal list of things I've heard often enough that I remember them. Moderated videos is not on that list. You might want to reflect your opinion in response to my post at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...nput-Solicited
                    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...