Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew B.
    • Aug 2004

[Forum] Prevent Hyperlink Truncation

Sometimes it is preferable to not have hyperlinks trancated. The reason being that copying and pasting a message with truncated hyperlinks leaves the user with useless URL addresses.

I've tried things like using html or php tags to save them, but then the user can't click on them.

Is there a clean and easy solution?
  • cbiweb
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.1.x

Use the 'Insert Link' button in the editor (the globe icon with the little chain link in the corner) to make text links instead of full URLs. So instead of this:

You have this:
    Long Website Address
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Biker
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by cbiweb
      Use the 'Insert Link' button in the editor (the globe icon with the little chain link in the corner) to make text links instead of full URLs. So instead of this:

You have this:
      Long Website Address
      Which does absolutely nothing to fix the OPs problem. You still cannot copy and paste the link using that method.

Andrew, the only way around this issue is education. Remind your users not to use the standard copy/paste methods for URLs, but rather right mouse click on the truncated URL and select copy link address (or the appropriate item depending on the browser being used).
      I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• cbiweb
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Biker
        Which does absolutely nothing to fix the OPs problem.
        No need to get snippy about it.

Originally posted by Biker
        You still cannot copy and paste the link using that method.
        Yes, you can, by using the same education to users that you yourself described.

However, you and I both have still not fixed the OPs actual problem, because when copy/pasting a message, there is no right clicking of a link.
        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Andrew B.
          • Aug 2004

What is really unfortunate is when the thread is set to "show printable version" the urls are still incomplete. So if one printed to paper, the URL would be completely useless.

I also tried forcing the full link in by using the link tool, but that didn't work. I think the only way to get this would be to jump to the archive, which is not very practical. So I didn't test it.

I ended up uploading the message in a PDF.

Comment

• Andreas
            • Feb 2004

What is really unfortunate is when the thread is set to "show printable version" the urls are still incomplete. So if one printed to paper, the URL would be completely useless.
            That is a very valid objection.

Comment

• Oracle simsim
              • Jul 2009

OK meanwhile you can do like this

http://www.some-long-website-address.com/omg-how-long-does-it-have-to-be-yada-yada-yada-yada-yada-yada

hahaha
              منتديات درر العراق

Comment