X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiokid
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.1.x

EXACTLY!
    FWIW, I tested Drupal for half a year solid before buying vb4. Drupal is a killer and very robust CMS but not right for forum based CMS. Joomla is much more attractive but way off from the same concept. VB4 is heading in the right direction, BUT as you say, they have quality control problems. I'm so tempted to bail but I know if they get their S together, it will be the best. I'm hoping this version doesn't crash on me. That's how concerned I'm getting.

Its really scary at this point. I think we're all getting the jitters and beginning to react more negatively,. Its gaining a negative spin. Totally avoidable things like this don't help. I think its time they reached out to whomever they pissed off and get it back on track. No way am I going to upgrade past this point. I feel like I just walked a tight rope on this upgrade.

I'm sad I had to post this complaint.
    Last edited by audiokid; Sat 10 Apr '10, 12:03pm.
    Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
    created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• ErnestA
      • Jan 2009
      • 4.1.x

I agree... VB has the best rounded package... Their forums have always been #1 and if they can just get their quality control fixed it would be ideal.

I ended up reverting back to 4.0.2 PL2.... It may have a security flaw, but at least it's not impacting my end users.

P.S. the error I was getting at the top of the screen with 4.0.3 was:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/packages/vbcms/widget/recentcmscomments.php on line 319

Disabled all plugins and still got it... Cleared the browser cache and it still happens... But browser cache would have nothing to do with a php error code.

Sigh.....
      Help Desk / Asset Management Software
      K12Advantage.com. Collaboration in K-12 Education

Comment

• Alex Older
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Gumble
        I didnt got any problem with the CMS permissions O.o
        Same here, no problems.
        Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

• audiokid
          • Apr 2009
          • 4.1.x

Good for you. My best backup is stable 2 weeks back in time. I loose threads and members. I'm stable now, with bugs that I can rifle through and wait...
          On the good side, my SEO is climbing and membership is growing. We are definitely on the move. in 3 months last I checked 54,000 pages are now indexed. Its fluxing but on the rise. We are using vbseo.

hope this helps strengthen the positive side.
          Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• Alex Older
            • Sep 2003

did you try resetting permissions etc etc?
            Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

• audiokid
              • Apr 2009
              • 4.1.x

the problem is now fixed.

I did nothing to create this problem in the first place. That's what the problem is. It worked before, and after the upgrade, it didn't. See above for the rest of the story.

Cheers!
              Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• ErnestA
                • Jan 2009
                • 4.1.x

Hmmm... I'm not sure what happened, but the lack of permissions were present in 4.0.2 as well... But at some point in the past I was sure unregistered users could see the sections... So was it a bug that got fixed at some point?

I reset the permissions multiple times in 4.0.3 but could not get the section to appear, but after reverting back to 4.0.2PL2 I was able to get the to re-appear with permission resets...

It's crazy, there' so many bloody bugs, I don't know when something broke and when it worked... I can't audit every aspect of my system after every upgrade....

This is driving me bonkers.... At least I'm working right now though...
                Help Desk / Asset Management Software
                K12Advantage.com. Collaboration in K-12 Education

Comment

• LoveStream
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ErnestA
                  I agree... VB has the best rounded package... Their forums have always been #1 and if they can just get their quality control fixed it would be ideal.

I ended up reverting back to 4.0.2 PL2.... It may have a security flaw, but at least it's not impacting my end users.

P.S. the error I was getting at the top of the screen with 4.0.3 was:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/packages/vbcms/widget/recentcmscomments.php on line 319

Disabled all plugins and still got it... Cleared the browser cache and it still happens... But browser cache would have nothing to do with a php error code.

Sigh.....
                  To add a new test comment to any article, this error could be fixed as to mine. But apparently this is a serious bug too.

Comment

• LoveStream
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by audiokid
                    Update.

the CMS being blocked has now been fixed! The problem... not talking the time to be sure their patches do NOT change our permission settings!!!

A simple re connect of the Front Page Publishing Options needed to be activated again. Yes No. was forced to no with this upgrade. This is something know one would ever turn off after you have the board going. The permission settings in the CMS cpanel had no effect so I went around in circles for 16 bloody hours. If the Front Page is off, everything is off even though it says on in the admin>cpanel>cms>permissions. If you have other sub sections in your CMS, they are not effected so you wouldn't think to remember that settings elsewhere.
                    I found it by seeing dates and different sections working even though the Front Page was off there. If you are logged in as Admin, you will never know it isn't working. Only until I logged out did I even realize my Front Page was off.

Ridicules however, if you have this same issue. Its most likely that.

Test... Create new Article>Save> Log out, check your new Front Page article.
                    Extremely fortunate, I also didn't aware untill browsing with other one to check the compatibility.

Comment

• Aug 2003

I wish I never bought the suite. The forum itself would have been fine but the CMS just sucks and still does not work right. Support does not offer much if any help just makes me jump through hoops for days until they finally have to try to help me.

Comment

• iyama
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 4.2.X

If i see al the problems with i have with vb 4 gold. I wish i was back to 3.8 still. Even a small question to the support team of vb ends: Whe only support instal problems, no small questions. *&^%(* first collect a lot of money and then *BUMP* a paying constumer with such a ^%$# answer.
                        VB The Next Social Media plugin!
                        I don't buy VB5!

Comment

• cvn
                          • May 2006

I edited the Front Page and changed the "Show on Section widget" to Yes, then the guests now can read the CMS if being set in CMS Permissions.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...