Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hqlman
    • Aug 2008

[CMS] CMS Banner issues in Internet explorer

I bought a rotating banner for my site and I wanted this to be displayed in a widget above primary content on the CMS homepage, and to do this i created a new template and added the code:

HTML Code:
    <object height="300" width="590" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="../banner/preview.swf" id="large_item_preview_container" style="visibility: visible;">
    <param name="base" value="../banner/">
    <param name="wmode" value="opaque"></object>
    The above code displays fine in all browsers but IE, Ive tried several codes and embed to make it appear in IE but have failed everytime, can anyone help me do this? Below is a screenshot of how the banners look in the different browsers:

Really would appreciate any help with this,

Thanks in advance
  • Harv
    • Jan 2005
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by hqlman
    (...snip...)
    The above code displays fine in all browsers but IE, Ive tried several codes and embed to make it appear in IE but have failed everytime, can anyone help me do this? Below is a screenshot of how the banners look in the different browsers:
    Are you sure it's not a flash problem with your IE? (if all other browsers are working)

Comment

• hqlman
      • Aug 2008

Im sorry i should have been more clearer, by other browsers i meant firefox and chrome, its exactly the same for everyone viewing it in IE, which really is confusing me,

Comment

• Edwin Brown
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2009
        • 5.5.x

I notice you are missing the classid in the object definition. Here is what Macromedia says:

I would suggest reading that and following their instructions
        Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• hqlman
          • Aug 2008

I read that and used the following code in my template for the widget:

HTML Code:
           <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" WIDTH="550" HEIGHT="400" id="preview"><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="../banner/preview.swf"><PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high><PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF><EMBED href="../banner/preview.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="550" HEIGHT="400" NAME="preview" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED></OBJECT> 
          But this wont work in any browser, is there any errors in the code above? And what can i try?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Harv
            • Jan 2005
            • 4.1.x

It sounds like the problem isn't widget/VB related.

I would create a simple html page, with nothing on it but your banner code. You don't even have to upload it, then try loading the basic page in different browsers.

This will allow you to at least eliminate VB and the Widget from your list of possible problem areas.

If it still doesn't load/run properly in IE, then your question might get a faster/more accurate answer from the people you purchased the rotating banner from.

Comment

• hqlman
              • Aug 2008

I tried the code in a test.html file and uploaded to server and it works perfectly but the same code used in a vb cms template produces something weird now, i think this is a problem related to vb and not the code im using as its working on other html pages easilly.

Here you can see what im seeing in all browsers the first image of it in the cms and the second of the banner in a new test.html file,

Comment

• Harv
                • Jan 2005
                • 4.1.x

I tried the code in a test.html file and uploaded to server and it works perfectly but the same code used in a vb cms template produces something weird now, i think this is a problem related to vb and not the code im using as its working on other html pages easilly.

Here you can see what im seeing in all browsers the first image of it in the cms and the second of the banner in a new test.html file,

Ok sorry, I misunderstood again it seems. What widget type are you using when you create your widget?

Comment

• Harv
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 4.1.x

I don't think this will have any effect but have you tried enclosing the code in <vb:literal> </vb:literal> tags?

As far as I can tell those tags are for raw html in templates, but might be something to try until a better suggestion comes along.

Comment

• hqlman
                    • Aug 2008

Ok, i tried enclosing the code in <vb:literal> but that had no effect. Basically what ive done is I made a new template under vbcms templates that I wanted to use for the rotating banner widget because i didnt want any styling around the widget like on every other default widget.

Then i created a html widget for my rotating banner which I left blank, and put all the code directly into the template. Ive tried this the other way around as well the code in the widget and the template blank but still makes no difference, seems like object on its own works as you can see from my first post but as soon as embed is added then for some reason the whole thing breaks down

EDIT: infact when I paste the code into the widget instead of the template nothing at all appears on the cms as if the code isnt there at all.

Comment

• Harv
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 4.1.x

Ok, i tried enclosing the code in <vb:literal> but that had no effect. Basically what ive done is I made a new template under vbcms templates that I wanted to use for the rotating banner widget because i didnt want any styling around the widget like on every other default widget.

Then i created a html widget for my rotating banner which I left blank, and put all the code directly into the template. Ive tried this the other way around as well the code in the widget and the template blank but still makes no difference, seems like object on its own works as you can see from my first post but as soon as embed is added then for some reason the whole thing breaks down

EDIT: infact when I paste the code into the widget instead of the template nothing at all appears on the cms as if the code isnt there at all.
                      You can try a "no title" html widget template I use and see if it makes a difference. All that the template contains is:

HTML Code:
                      <div class="cms_widget">
                          <div class="block">
                              <div class="cms_widget_header">
                              </div>
                              <div class="cms_widget_content">
                              {vb:raw static_html}
                              </div>
                          </div>
                      </div>
                      I named it vbcms_widget_notitle, I use it for an adsense block. It has SOME styling (basically just a frame). The ad code should IMHO be in the widget, not the template. Might be worth a try, to see if it's a template issue. This one is tried and true.

Comment

• hqlman
                        • Aug 2008

Just tried that, the only difference it makes now is that the banner has a frame but the inside is still the same, you can just see the two buttons like on the image above,

Comment

• Harv
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 4.1.x

Just tried that, the only difference it makes now is that the banner has a frame but the inside is still the same, you can just see the two buttons like on the image above,
                          I hope someone smarter than me comes along with an idea for you - I'm stumped

Comment

• Edwin Brown
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 5.5.x

If you are using the html widget, your html gets passed along untouched. Of course you have whatever css and html you passed. If you view source on the page you can verify this. You say you created a new template. I would first see what happens if you use the default template.
                            Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• hqlman
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Harv
                              I hope someone smarter than me comes along with an idea for you - I'm stumped
                              thanks for trying anyway

Originally posted by Edwin Brown
                              If you are using the html widget, your html gets passed along untouched. Of course you have whatever css and html you passed. If you view source on the page you can verify this. You say you created a new template. I would first see what happens if you use the default template.
                              Yes if you read one reply above yours i said the only difference it makes is that the blank space appears inside a "frame" now. The only code that has worked and still works on FF and chrome is:

HTML Code:
                              <object height="300" width="590" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="../banner/preview.swf" id="large_item_preview_container" style="visibility: visible;">
                              <param name="base" value="../banner/">
                              <param name="wmode" value="opaque"></object>

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...