'promote to article' doesn't carry over replies (comments)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karlm
    • Jun 2006
    • 5.3.x

[CMS] 'promote to article' doesn't carry over replies (comments)

I understood that when I promoted a thread to an article for the CMS, the replies would be considered as 'comments' in reply to the article.

However, the article shows no replies - even if the thread had 100+ replies.

I can then make a reply from the article's own page - and it then updates to show '1 comment'.

Is this how it is meant to work? I'm sure when I did a test install it migrated the thread replies automatically... Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance
    VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
    No Addons - none at all.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

At this time thats not intended, you can check the bug tracker.

Comment

• karlm
      • Jun 2006
      • 5.3.x

thank you for clarifying.
      No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Harv
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.1.x

I'm with you Karlm - I find myself never using "promote to article" for this very reason - you wind up with two identically titled threads (well, one is prefaced by "Article:") with two different sets of replies.

They also both show up on the latest posts widget, though I suppose I could exclude the CMS comments forum from the widget.

Comment

• Videx
          • Jan 2007

Until it's straightened out you can use a mod: [CMS] Use original thread for comments

Comment

• karlm
            • Jun 2006
            • 5.3.x

Right - it seems a little odd to have the wording as 'promote to article' when it actually copies it, creating two instances, one without any comments - giving the wrong impression no one cares about the subject enough to reply or worse, infuriating members who have replied as they've now got to reply again.

As a temp measure, I tested the idea of merging the two threads together (forcing the old one into the articles forum) so it instantly adds 100+ comments to the article. This seems to work.
            No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• TCB
              • Jun 2004
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by karlm
              Right - it seems a little odd to have the wording as 'promote to article' when it actually copies it, creating two instances, one without any comments - giving the wrong impression no one cares about the subject enough to reply or worse, infuriating members who have replied as they've now got to reply again.

As a temp measure, I tested the idea of merging the two threads together (forcing the old one into the articles forum) so it instantly adds 100+ comments to the article. This seems to work.
              exactly... I really thought (before purchasing) that it would work as you say. But how it actually works is way different.

Comment

• AlkATRaZ
                • Feb 2001

Disappointing to see this isn't integrated...
                http://www.northwestnissans.com

Comment

• Biker
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
                  At this time thats not intended, you can check the bug tracker.
                  And the day it does happen is when I immediately turn comments off in CMS. I use CMS as a teaser to draw potential members into the forum. I don't want CMS to be used as an extension of the forums.
                  I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• nakedanvil
                    • Mar 2010

I'm with Biker on this one. I like the forums for an extended dialog. Forum threads can take on a life of their own. An article seems better with just a little feedback. I have some reader that read the forums, some just want to read the news. I'm fine with it the way it is. Suppose it would be nice to have the option, just not for me.

Comment

• karlm
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 5.3.x

But that's why it has the option... to allow/disallow 'comments' (replies).
                      No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• nakedanvil
                        • Mar 2010

To me there is a big difference between a few "comments" (which I want) and a dozen pages of dialog as often happens in the forum threads.

Comment

• karlm
                          • Jun 2006
                          • 5.3.x

So you could do similar as other sites do, and put a sticker 'comments on this article are now closed' after x days/x replies.
                          No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• nakedanvil
                            • Mar 2010

Sure, I can do that now. I suppose if you guys want that option, fine, it just isn't something I need. To me there is a qualitative difference between "comments" and the sort of conversation that takes place in a forum topic. And that solution wouldn't work for me if there are already 50 posts to a thread before I promote it either.

Comment

• carrlos27
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Videx
                              Until it's straightened out you can use a mod: [CMS] Use original thread for comments
                              I use it and it's awesome!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...