How to exclude RSS posts from "New Posts" search?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn_E
    • Dec 2009
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] How to exclude RSS posts from "New Posts" search?

My users are complaining that the RSS feeds are cluttering the convenient "New Posts" search. I looked in the Forum manager setup for each forum and did not find a way to exclude the forum that the posts are sent to either. Am I missing something or is this not something included in vb? Has anyone found a way to exclude the RSS posts?
    WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10
  • Biker
    • Oct 2003

Not sure if it works the same way in 4.0, but I had this working on 3.8.X.

Code:
    <td class="vbmenu_control"><a href="search.php?$session[sessionurl]do=getnew&exclude=x,y" accesskey="2">$vbphrase[new_posts_nav]</a></td>
    Exclude= would be the forum ID and you'd most likely need to create a new phrase. This will exclude the forum that the RSS feeds into.
    I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• Glenn_E
      • Dec 2009
      • 4.2.X

Thanks - I have a couple of questions though. I'll search for the teamplate, unless you know and refering to (exclude=x,y) do I enter multiple IDs separated by commas after Exclude= ? or does (x,y) mean something else?

Comment

• Biker
        • Oct 2003

You can add as many forum IDs as you wish (represented by x,y,z, etc.). Just separate them with commas.

Comment

• Glenn_E
          • Dec 2009
          • 4.2.X

I wasn't able to find the template... Anyone with vb4.x ever do this?

Comment

• pepsicola38
            • Nov 2009

I'm still trying to figure it out. I got a little side tracked though with some other things. It would be nice if the answer "magically" appears here, otherwise I'll be back to trying to figure it out after I finish some other stuff.

Comment

• Biker
              • Oct 2003

I didn't modify the original search link. I just added another using the code I provided above. That way everyone was happy. Those that didn't want the feeds could search without the forums showing up that contain them, and those that don't care could still use the original link to get everything.

Comment

• Glenn_E
                • Dec 2009
                • 4.2.X

That makes sense... thanks Biker. I'll tinker a bit to figure-out how to add another link using your code.

Comment

• zelnik
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 4.2.X

has anyone worked out a fix for this yet? I really need to exclude some forums from the what is new thing

Comment

• punchbowl
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 4.0.x

How about this in forum permissions:

Index New Posts in Search Engine (Setting this to 'No' will prevent anyone from being able to search in this forum)

Comment

• ENF
                      • Apr 2002

Originally posted by punchbowl
                      How about this in forum permissions:

Index New Posts in Search Engine (Setting this to 'No' will prevent anyone from being able to search in this forum)
                      Does not work the way you think it does. It's only for the search engine indexing. When you click on "What's New?" or "New Posts" ,those threads/posts in the forums where you have that option turned off (or no), still show up.

We created another button to skip any forum that contains RSS posts, (using the &exclude=X,y option) specifically for two forums that pull news threads from a content provider.
                      To be updated...

Comment

• Glenn_E
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by ENF
                        We created another button to skip any forum that contains RSS posts, (using the &exclude=X,y option) specifically for two forums that pull news threads from a content provider.
                        "We" as in vb developers? How do "we" as customers find this button you speak of?

Comment

• Biker
                          • Oct 2003

You make it.

Comment

• Glenn_E
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 4.2.X

Was the button created in the control panel? I could probably figure-out how to create it with my limited programming skills but, Biker... since you original post mentioned you only had it working in 3.8, I'm not yet sure which template to look in. Since we are in the vb4.x forum, I am hoping ENF is referring to a button "we" created in vb4.x

Comment

• ENF
                              • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Glenn_E
                              "We" as in vb developers? How do "we" as customers find this button you speak of?
                              When I saw "We" - I specifically refer to my team of admins/techs that assist in running the sites I'm involved with.

This particular option to 'exclude' certain forums can be done by editing your current navbar template. You can also make a button with a modification from vbulletin.org or your own self modification. The following information is related to the default buttons in the basic vBulletin Package.

Example: (AdminCP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> Edit Templates -> Navigation / Bread Crumb Templates -> navbar)

Find these lines in that template:

Code:
                              <a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post" accesskey="2">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a>
                              <a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post" accesskey="2">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a>
                              <a href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase new_posts_nav}</a>
                              <a href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase todays_posts}</a>
                              <a href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase new_posts_nav}</a>
                              <a href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase todays_posts}</a>
                              <a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post" accesskey="2">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a>
                              <a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post" accesskey="2">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a>
                              These are all of the entries related to showing "New Posts" eitherby "Get Daily" or "Get New". You can add this command: &exclude=X,Y after the do=getdaily or do=getnew section of each of those lines. So, if you wanted to exclude forums #5 and #7, your new code would looks like this:

Code:
                              [COLOR=Blue]<a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]&exclude=5,7[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post" accesskey="2">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}[/COLOR]</a>
                              Blue = Existing Code
                              Red = New Code Added

I don't have the time right this moment to tell you which each of those lines relates to, but you should be able to figure it out. (As to which button goes to each line...)

Good Luck.
                              To be updated...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...