Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErnestA
    • Jan 2009
    • 4.1.x

4 days now.... No explanation of what happened.... No concern for the people who's sites are messed up... Way to totally drop the ball AGAIN guys...

Here's a hint guys... I've been an I.T. manager and technology director for almost a decade now. Problems happen, that's simply a reality of the I.T. world.

Take two separate I.T. departments in two separate organizations. The same problem happens in both organizations and causes major issues. The problem ends up takiing the same amount of time to fix for both organizations. One organization's I.T. department kept their end users in the loop the entire time (what happened, how it's being fixed, estimates to restoration of service), the other I.T. department did nothing to keep their end users informed. As stated, both problems took the same amount of time to fix.... Who's users do you think were the most pissed off?

Keep people in the loop the whole time and you won't get the massive backlash you guys seem to experience on a regular basis.

This whole thing also raises more red flags for me. Who's managing your development team? Why is the manager allowing this complete lack of communication back to the end users?

Also, do you have any kind beta testing group in place to ensure the patches release are stable and reliable? Doesn't seem like you do from my standpoint.

If it were up to me I think I would be re-evaluating my internal procedures and business practices to figure out how so many buggy releases seem to slip through the testing cracks.

If I released a patch and my forum was suddenly lit up with postings of major issues, I would be immediately going into damage control mode. Something that also seems to be completely foreign to your organization.

Seriously, you guys had better step it up a few notches. If this pattern of buggy release after buggy release continues I'll be looking to switch products because as much as I like vBulletin, I can't run a corporate / production site with this kind of support. Right now my choice is patch my site to fix the security flaw and break my CMS, or leave it as is and hope nobody exploits the flaw. Totally unacceptable guys.
    Help Desk / Asset Management Software
    K12Advantage.com. Collaboration in K-12 Education

Comment

• Mikhailtech
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by ErnestA
      4 days now.... No explanation of what happened.... No concern for the people who's sites are messed up... Way to totally drop the ball AGAIN guys...

Here's a hint guys... I've been an I.T. manager and technology director for almost a decade now. Problems happen, that's simply a reality of the I.T. world.

Take two separate I.T. departments in two separate organizations. The same problem happens in both organizations and causes major issues. The problem ends up takiing the same amount of time to fix for both organizations. One organization's I.T. department kept their end users in the loop the entire time (what happened, how it's being fixed, estimates to restoration of service), the other I.T. department did nothing to keep their end users informed. As stated, both problems took the same amount of time to fix.... Who's users do you think were the most pissed off?

Keep people in the loop the whole time and you won't get the massive backlash you guys seem to experience on a regular basis.

This whole thing also raises more red flags for me. Who's managing your development team? Why is the manager allowing this complete lack of communication back to the end users?

Also, do you have any kind beta testing group in place to ensure the patches release are stable and reliable? Doesn't seem like you do from my standpoint.

If it were up to me I think I would be re-evaluating my internal procedures and business practices to figure out how so many buggy releases seem to slip through the testing cracks.

If I released a patch and my forum was suddenly lit up with postings of major issues, I would be immediately going into damage control mode. Something that also seems to be completely foreign to your organization.

Seriously, you guys had better step it up a few notches. If this pattern of buggy release after buggy release continues I'll be looking to switch products because as much as I like vBulletin, I can't run a corporate / production site with this kind of support. Right now my choice is patch my site to fix the security flaw and break my CMS, or leave it as is and hope nobody exploits the flaw. Totally unacceptable guys.
      Agreed. This isn't something small that broke. Was this patch even moderately tested prior to getting rolled out? I understand the CMS is a new product so I'm ok with giving it some slack, but this is getting a little out of hand. First we have a patch, not entirely documented mind you, then another one right afterwards because it wasn't sufficient, and now the latest one breaks everything. This patch did more damage than the problem it was meant to fix.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Has anyone reported a bug? Has anyone started a ticket about this?

Comment

• smirkley
          • Feb 2008

I just did just submit per your suggestion.

(I didnt before, assumed all the users before me who noticed, maybe somebody else had, but apparently not )

Comment

• beatyourtruck
            • Jul 2005
            • 4.0.x

OK...well this breaks all my plans to actually go live with vb4 this weekend. GRRRR! I bought this thing 3-4 months ago and it is still not live. I am not one to complain but I have already spent countless hours tweaking things that should have been right from the beginning and now I read this. **sigh** Come on vb, I am a long time customer and I just want what I paid for. A system that works with updates that make things better.
            Have you Beat Your Truck today?

Comment

• CraigH
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.6.x

Would love an update to this. Embedded video is a huge part of web life today and not having it function correctly in the CMS is a tough pill to swallow for us webmasters.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Anyone who can follow up with the bug and provide more feedback would be most thanked

Comment

• khet
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by smirkley
                  I just did just submit per your suggestion.

(I didnt before, assumed all the users before me who noticed, maybe somebody else had, but apparently not )
                  I hope vBulletin Team will report to us about solution of these problems.

Comment

• wrx1
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Zachery
                    Anyone who can follow up with the bug and provide more feedback would be most thanked
                    1 bug - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=37147

2 bug - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=37082

and here is a screen shot of bug 2 that I currently have.

Do you need anything else??

Russ

Comment

• anzs
                      • Apr 2010

At least I fixed CMS article preview broken issue found in PL3/PL4 for my forum. Before the fix I had completely wrong preview mixed with BBcodes for all CMS articles added after applying patch PL3 and PL4.

I attached a fix for PL4. Procedure:
                      1. Upload the fix
                      2. Re-edit all CMS articles you created after PL3 (Edit -> Save). This step is necessary to re-create broken article previews (they are cached in DB).

What I changed: file packages\vbcms\bbcode\html.php, lines 242, 243, 244:

$pagetext =preg_replace('#\[ATTACH.*?\[/ATTACH\]#siU', '', $pagetext);
                      $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[IMG.*?\[/IMG\]#siU', '', $pagetext);
                      $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[VIDEO.*?\[/VIDEO\]#siU', '', $pagetext);

was replaced with

$pagetext =preg_replace('#\[ATTACH.*?\[/ATTACH\]#si', '', $pagetext);
                      $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[IMG.*?\[/IMG\]#si', '', $pagetext);
                      $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[VIDEO.*?\[/VIDEO\]#si', '', $pagetext);

So "U" regular expression switch was removed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ercule
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 4.1.x

Thanks a lot. Apparently it works fine with this fix.

Comment

• gorman
                          • Sep 2002

Yes I have. And even if this thread already existed, I've been asked to disable all plugins, reupload all original files and all the usual bucketload of crap.

WE ARE NOT VBULLETIN BETA TESTERS! Shame on you (not you Zachery), shame on you.

Comment

• khet
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by anzs
                            At least I fixed CMS article preview broken issue found in PL3/PL4 for my forum. Before the fix I had completely wrong preview mixed with BBcodes for all CMS articles added after applying patch PL3 and PL4.

I attached a fix for PL4. Procedure:
                            1. Upload the fix
                            2. Re-edit all CMS articles you created after PL3 (Edit -> Save). This step is necessary to re-create broken article previews (they are cached in DB).

What I changed: file packages\vbcms\bbcode\html.php, lines 242, 243, 244:

$pagetext =preg_replace('#\[ATTACH.*?\[/ATTACH\]#siU', '', $pagetext);
                            $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[IMG.*?\[/IMG\]#siU', '', $pagetext);
                            $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[VIDEO.*?\[/VIDEO\]#siU', '', $pagetext);

was replaced with

$pagetext =preg_replace('#\[ATTACH.*?\[/ATTACH\]#si', '', $pagetext);
                            $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[IMG.*?\[/IMG\]#si', '', $pagetext);
                            $pagetext =preg_replace('#\[VIDEO.*?\[/VIDEO\]#si', '', $pagetext);

So "U" regular expression switch was removed.
                            It is solution only for articles without embedded video.
                            Embedded video is still showing as the intro image, rather than the first image..

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gorman
                              Yes I have. And even if this thread already existed, I've been asked to disable all plugins, reupload all original files and all the usual bucketload of crap.

WE ARE NOT VBULLETIN BETA TESTERS! Shame on you (not you Zachery), shame on you.
                              That is normal, sorry, we have to make sure third party issues are not confliting with our code.

For a temporay fix:
                              in /packages/vbcms/search/result/article.php, line 269, change
                              PHP Code:
                              $template->register('categories'htmlspecialchars_uni($this->categories)); 
                              to
                              PHP Code:
                              $template->register('categories'$this->categories); 

Comment

• Alien
                                • Jul 2000

None of these fixes work for me. I still get html showing in my previews.
                                -Jason / WTF.com

"I think I've been quite clear that the new style will be in vB4." - Allen Lin / February 16, 2012

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...