Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul B
    • Nov 2009

[CMS] Make image act as a link

I want to have an article with images which act as links to other articles; when I select an image in an article and use the attach link button, it seems to take -- but when I save and try out an image, when I click I get the usual lightbox response. Any way to have an image act as link (like an imagemap)?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

What is the exact code being put into the article?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Paul B
      • Nov 2009

Hi Lynne

I am inserting images into an article as per usual. I am then selecting said images and using the "link" button (earth with chain link thingy) to designate a URL to the image in order for the image to act as a link to a different article on my site.

Comment

• Paul B
        • Nov 2009

Add links to pics

rattling the cage...

So can the editor do this somehow or is this another hand-code html situation? This would be a nice feature to add: when you hover over image and click pencil icon, in that image menu box where you choose size, justification, description, etc, here you could add a URL to the pic and hence deselect lightbox setting.

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

I just added an image into one of my articles and put url tags around it:

Code:
          [noparse][URL=http://www.vbulletin.com][ATTACH]40[/ATTACH][/URL][/noparse]
          That worked just fine for me. If you want to be able tto insert a url in the little pencil icon editor thingie, then you should post that in the Suggestion forum.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Paul B
            • Nov 2009

That's not working for me. When I tried it, I was using the enhanced editor interface, put in an image, then click the Switch Editor Mode button to change the code around to what you posted. Is that not right?

Comment

• Paul B
              • Nov 2009

Correction: it works, just not in a table (I had arranged pics in a table to control caption placement). Why wouldn't it work in a table?

Comment

• Paul B
                • Nov 2009

Correction again: works unpredictably. What's the deal? Frustrating.

Comment

• BatCave
                  • Jun 2010

Lynn, I am having problems with this issue as well. Has anyone figured out a way to consistently link attached images (in the CMS) to outside URLs? The [Attach] code always inserts the lightbox code link in between the outside link [URL] code and the actual graphic. Is there maybe a template I could edit so that [Attach] doesn't stick a default link to simply expand the graphic on article pages? I want the [Attache] graphics to still work like they currently do in article previews, but once a person is viewing the actual article, I'd like the images to be able to be linked to relevant outside sites.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

If you think this is a bug, then you should enter it into the bug tracker so the devs can look into it. Put as much detail as possible so the issue can be duplicated.

Comment

• BatCave
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Lynne
                      If you think this is a bug, then you should enter it into the bug tracker so the devs can look into it. Put as much detail as possible so the issue can be duplicated.
                      I don't think it's a bug, it kind of does what it's supposed to do, assuming you want images to only display in full view or in lightbox when you click on them. There is nothing 'broken' about it's function, it's just that I happen to want to link them to other sites or URL's instead. I'll put in a ticket though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• BatCave
                        • Jun 2010

I found the bug report for this issue, but it says it's closed?

It seems to be closed because it's a duplicate of this:

But neither one looks like it has a solution. I see good suggestions of how this could be addressed in future versions, but since the issue looks closed, I don't know what the next step would be. What is your advice Lynn? Petition to re-open? Or am I just looking in the wrong place and this has actually been solved?

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Here is the issue in the new bug tracker - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-4920 It is still open. I would suggest you comment in there and say that this is an issue on your site as well and you would like a solution.

Comment