X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boro_boy
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] Site Slow For Some People, Fast For Others

Is there a reason for this? When I click on whats new, some people say the search takes up to 50 seconds to do, whilst for me its 0.03 seconds? Is this possibly a server probplem? If so how can I look into it.

Thanks
    My Football Forum
  • Mopar1973Man
    • Nov 2009
    • 4.2.X

You might contact your hosting provider and have then check it out too...

I had this problem as well at one time but never really got a answer for why? or what caused it?...
    Mopar1973Man.Com Forum and Article Database Powered By vBulletin 4.2.0 & Joomla 2.5.11 -~- Michael Nelson -> SoonTM to be Invision Power Board Powered
    Posted With Ubuntu Linux 12.04.2

Comment

• kfrosty
      • Feb 2010

Have you clarified the bandwidth differences between you and your customer? I wouldn't think much data would need to come down in a search but there are a number of factors involved in testing.

You may want to have them go somewhere like speedtest.net and run a report and compare it against yours just to start.

Also, are you using different browsers etc?

Comment

• boro_boy
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.8.x

I know he used IE and I use firefox.
        He has a 2mb connection I have 10mb

I've been speaking to him. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, he's from Wales and i'm from Middlesbrough so its not like were thousands of miles away. I'm sure my server is in Sheffield also.
        My Football Forum

Comment

• kfrosty
          • Feb 2010

For clarification, I just started using vb & php a month ago. But I've been a network engineer for 16 years and a developer for around 10. It's highly unlikely in a situation like this a piece of software would perform well for a select few users. In those situations I get on the server or as close to the server as I can if you don't control it and try to emulate everything he does. I'd probably try to copy his user account or even see if I could login with his credentials. (Only if you own the site or are a mod.) See if you can repro. If not, then try at the same time he is.

Also, maybe have him do some continuous ping test and increase packet sizes etc. Even though he has a 2mb connection, something somewhere in between could be having problems.

Anyway, I was just trying to give some general network troubleshooting suggestions until somebody from vb can respond if they know anything specific about vb or your setup that could cause something like this.

Comment

• boro_boy
            • Dec 2002
            • 3.8.x

Hello,

Thanks for the reply frosty, yeah I'm figuring that it can't be the software or its unlikely as it works well for me. It must be something on his side, but a few more people say its been slow but its always been fast for me. I've pinged it and the highest ping I got was 350ms which is still less than half a second. Its strange as we have been comparing the speed at the same time, takes him 50seconds from clicking on Whats New button to the results coming up and its 0.07 for me!!

It just doesn't seem to make any sense!! Maybe there may be something wrong with his account or his computer as if its fast with me then surely i've proved there is nothing wrong with the server or software?
            My Football Forum

Comment

• tidefans
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.7.x

Here's a site that I occasionally use if people are having trouble connecting to see where bottlenecks might be occuring:

See trace route, ping test, IP address locations, connection test information from our traceroute server in Ashburn, Virginia, USA, to any URL or domain you select.

Comment

• boro_boy
                • Dec 2002
                • 3.8.x

Thank you very much for that i've just tried it and its pretty good . Looking forward to what results my members get who say its slow.
                My Football Forum

Comment

• setishock
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 4.2.x

Originally posted by boro_boy
                  I know he used IE and I use firefox.
                  He has a 2mb connection I have 10mb

I've been speaking to him. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, he's from Wales and i'm from Middlesbrough so its not like were thousands of miles away. I'm sure my server is in Sheffield also.
                  If he has a dsl connection then that would explain a lot. We pay for 5Mb but if we're lucky we get 2.6Mb. Distance to the switching offce and a router at his end with others on at the same time can wreck havoc with a connection. I found that loading too many keywords in can cause a bit of a slowdown but nothing like that.
                  I have to go along with running some speed tests from his computer.

Comment

• boro_boy
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 3.8.x

He tried it today on a 40meg connection and the search was slow!! He thinks its the server, mysql or vbulletin. I'm not sure as its never been slow for me.
                    My Football Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...