X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TeeJokey
    • May 2005
    • 3.7.x

[Forum] 2 Forums in 1

I have a forum in spanish, I'm using vBulletin 3.x with it. I want to make the same forum now but in english, with all categories and posts new and independent. The thing is that it's the same community so I don't want the users that are previously registered in the spanish one, need to register in the english one.

I would like to know if vBulleting in any of it's version can provide me with some feature that allows me to do what I need. If not, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
  • AntonLargiader
    • Dec 2009

I'm sure it can. There was a thread a month or so ago where someone configured their forum to run from one of two different databases depending on [something]. You could probably do that based on language but have one user table.

But can't you just add a set of English forums to your existing one, and have the users roll up the one they don't use? Maybe you could have an English theme and a Spanish theme, and based on the selected theme you would get the correct language and the various forums would be rolled up or not. That way there's still a single sign-in and only one license, and minimal modifications.
    My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

• TeeJokey
      • May 2005
      • 3.7.x

Thanks for your reply AntonLargiader. The problem is that It's more than 25 forum categories of many kinds and I want them to be independent totally. It would be a mess to have them all together, specially for the people who doesn't understand spanish.

We want to launch the english community as something independent in fact, with independent event, but we don't want the spanish users need to register again for using the english one.

Could you tell me how I can find that thread you say?

Thanks.

Comment

• AntonLargiader
        • Dec 2009

I don't remember where it was. Somewhere on this site, though. I just don't remember the details.

However, if you're interested in that you should pursue it over at vbulletin.org since it's a modification. Using that technique to solve the problem sounds more and more complicated the more I think about it. But simply making a copy of the user table from the Spanish forum isn't the answer either as password/profile changes won't be in sync.

The new forum will have a separate domain name and everything? If so, it sounds like a sync tool that updates the English forum user table might be the best way. There are three different tables that have a record for each user.
        My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...