Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cvn
    • May 2006

Originally posted by s0lidgr0und
    Eh, that's what I tried at first. While it does, in fact, wrap the titles to the second line, it makes the rest of each block look like crap.
    Yes, it does so in by forum too, not only in the search result pages but also in other forum display pages.

Comment

• David Copeland
      • May 2000

Eh, that's what I tried at first. While it does, in fact, wrap the titles to the second line, it makes the rest of each block look like crap.
      What browser are you using? (I use Chrome)
      Originally posted by cvn
      Yes, it does so in by forum too, not only in the search result pages but also in other forum display pages.
      What browser are you using? (I use Chrome)

DAVID COPELAND
      Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
      Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
        • May 2007
        • 3.6.x

It looks like crap in both FF and Chrome.
        s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• cvn
          • May 2006

I use both Safari and FF. Also tested on IE.

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
            • May 2007
            • 3.6.x

I got an answer from a support ticket saying that if I wanted the text to wrap and not look like crap, that I'd need to alter colors so that gap doesn't show up.

So basically the software makes something look stupid, either by truncating the title of the thread or creating a gap when the 'fix' is applied, and I'm the one that has to tinker with the colors to make it look acceptable.

I think not.
            s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• David Copeland
              • May 2000

I got an answer from a support ticket saying that if I wanted the text to wrap and not look like crap, that I'd need to alter colors so that gap doesn't show up.

So basically the software makes something look stupid, either by truncating the title of the thread or creating a gap when the 'fix' is applied, and I'm the one that has to tinker with the colors to make it look acceptable.

I think not.
              Not sure what the default color is supposed to be, but mine was already BLUE. So when I received the code for the title wrap (see above), everything worked!

The best browser I found for our forums is the latest version of Google Chrome 4.1.249.1045

Using Chrome, go here

User Name: Guest
              Password: vbguest

Then click on the Active Topics, and choose Last 30 Days.

You will see that many of the titles are short, but if you look down the list you will start to see very long titles that wrap nicely. (Or go to Page 2 or 3 in the results).

And, if you manually shorten the width of your browser window, you will see that even the smaller titles will begin to wrap, rather than truncate off portions of the title.

If you are using Internet Explorer, then the tool bar still shows the Active Topics, but the New Posts label is a little off balance (something that is on my honey-do list).

Let me know what you think, especially if you use Chrome as a browser.

David

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• cvn
                • May 2006

@David Copeland: I just installed Chrome to try, but it does not make any difference to Safari, FF or IE.

Here is the original screen: the thread title is trunked in search result page
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	3678493

And now is screen after I added the code provided by Lynne to the additional.css: the thread title is wrapped but it's very ugly now (you see the big gap between the thread title and the line of "Started by...")

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	3678492

Also the Forum Display page becomes that ugly:

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3678491

If you have any possible idea on how to fix that, please share with us!

Thanks!

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
                  • May 2007
                  • 3.6.x

I got the wrapping to work fine, it's the whitespace below the replies/views box that looks like crap. From the answer I received in the support ticket, it's our responsibility to either deal with shortened titles or to alter colors to fix their mistake.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

If you make changes to the template/css, and then the result is not how you want it, who should fix it? I mean, I can do all sorts of weird things to my stylevars/css and make a mess of my style, but I'm not gonna then tell vB that they have to fix the mess. I made the suggestion to you that you enter this in the bug tracker as a suggestion - show the full title instead of the truncated title.

I also suggested just taking out the image:
                    Code:
                    .threadbit .alt {background: none;}
                    You can also move over the Started by line:
                    Code:
                    .threadbit .threadmeta {margin-left:60px;}

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
                      • May 2007
                      • 3.6.x

I did enter is as a bug, I was just commenting on the OP.

I'm talking about an unaltered default installation. The problem exists on this board. As far as who should fix it, I believe it should be VB. Why would/should a thread title be truncated by default? Who wants to see only the first 30 characters in a thread title? As far as I recall, 3.8 wasn't like that. So that leaves me to either have a truncated title or fiddle with different things to make it the way it used to look and, IMO, should look.

I'll try your suggestion at another time because I'm at work right now, but as far as I'm concerned, it's vb's issue to correct this, not mine.

Comment

• David Copeland
                        • May 2000

Originally posted by Lynne

I also suggested just taking out the image:
                        Code:
                        .threadbit .alt {background: none;}
                        You can also move over the Started by line:
                        Code:
                        .threadbit .threadmeta {margin-left:60px;}
                        Where does the above go?

>> Admin CP >> Style Manager ?

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

It is usually easiest to just add it to the additional.css template.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• David Copeland
                            • May 2000

I got the wrapping to work fine, it's the whitespace below the replies/views box that looks like crap. From the answer I received in the support ticket, it's our responsibility to either deal with shortened titles or to alter colors to fix their mistake.
                            I think why I did not notice too much white space was that before I installed the wrap code I changed the color on my own, PLUS I increased the Thread Topic Title a few font points so my members could read the text a little easier. The color and the larger font appears to have filled in the extra white space that the default color and default font size make look too much.

Reminds me of when I bought my first car in 1965, a Ford Mustang which had lots of easy space under the hood, easy to work on, simple parts and simple fixes. Then Ford wanted to triple the gas milage efficiency for a more high tech future from the old 9 miles per gallon to 30 miles per gallon. So the new 2010 Ford Mustang now has no space under the hood because of all of the computers and add-ons and gadjets, and when I wish to paint the 2010 model a different color, Ford tells me that I first have to change a computer module to adjust for the wind flow change the new paint job will create; or to change the wiper blades to a different brand so that the paint I want won't affect the stability in the rubber compounds of the new 2011 blades; or if I wish to change the radio antenna I have to buy a whole windshield that is compatible with the new antenna fibers built into the glass. (What ever happened to the $10 antenna??)

And so it is with the 1965 Ford Mustang (aka VBulletin Ver 3.8), a nice easy to maintain product - versus the new 2010 Mustang (VBulletin Ver 4) which requires ten (10) adjustments to make one (1) work.

Still , it is the future - and this day (or year) will pass and we will learn from it.

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• cvn
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Lynne
                              If you make changes to the template/css, and then the result is not how you want it, who should fix it? I mean, I can do all sorts of weird things to my stylevars/css and make a mess of my style, but I'm not gonna then tell vB that they have to fix the mess. I made the suggestion to you that you enter this in the bug tracker as a suggestion - show the full title instead of the truncated title.
                              It seems that you are trying to redirect this discussion far away from its main subject. I thanked you for providing the solution to fix the bug, and after applying it I just reported that the it does fix the bug but creates another bug. It's fine if you are just a normal member of this forum, but you are not, so it's not fine to respond to your company's customer that way!

I would suggest that you make yourself a cup of coffee, sit back then think about what s0lidgr0und tries to say (again).
                              Last edited by cvn; Mon 12 Apr '10, 6:35pm.

Comment

• Lynne
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • Oct 2004

Sorry cvn, I disagree. The OP asked "How do I allow a long Thread Title to wrap over to a second line so that the title does not get truncated on the single top line?" I told him what CSS was making it get truncated and how to remove it. That's all he asked, that's all I supplied.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...