X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis Kaczor
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

[CMS] CMS Major Issue!

Hello all, I have checked here and may have missed something, but could not find anything, so here goes my post.

First, problem is that in order to get the Registered Users and Guest to view the CMS page, I need to give Read and Publish permissions for them to view the page, if I take the Publish permission off they cannot access the page at all. Permissions Box Comes Up. OK thought that was a work around for the time being.

Here is the KICKER!

I had a registered user point this out to me today.

Any user that logs onto the CMS page at this time, can move the mouse over the EDIT Pencil and edit any article that is on the system or delete, and this includes guests that log into the system. I need to resolve this issue fast and nip it in the bud ASAP!

As well it seems that anyone can create an article as well, even though this permission is not on.

If anyone has any ideas and or suggestion please let me know, as I would like to resolve this issue as I have concerns that all my efforts to starting this page could be gone in a Heart Beat.

Thanks in advance

Dennis
  • oddmud
    • Oct 2009

What version are you running?
    Jason Craig – Partner
    Wet Coast Sports LTD
    Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

• Dennis Kaczor
      • Sep 2005
      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by oddmud
      What version are you running?
      Ops! Left that out... Version 4.0.2

Comment

• oddmud
        • Oct 2009

Have you checked your permissions in the Usergroups? There is no reason why they need Publishing permissions to be able to view it. I'm quite certain there's some user error there.
        Jason Craig – Partner
        Wet Coast Sports LTD
        Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

• freestyle
          • Jun 2005

I think there's a bug that gives anyone with HTML posting abilities full access to edit (and delete) content in the cms.

Comment

• misticjeff
            • Aug 2004

Definitely a permissions issue... I went to my site not logged in, as guest, and logged in as a normal registered user and cannot see the pencil icon.

Check permissions:

admincp > vBulletin CMS > permissions

make sure you have proper boxes checked/unchecked

Comment

• Dennis Kaczor
              • Sep 2005
              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Hello all that replied to this, I have checked and rechecked the Usergroup permissions and they are fine.

There is no reason that I can find to see why others can edit any of the articles on the CMS Home page, and I'm still looking for that and will check again after I finnish the message.

Attached is a screen capture of the CMS permissions, this is simple enough to figure out, and there is no reason why if I put Read Only the members and Guests cannot access this page, but check mark the Publish and they have access, I must be missing something here but what?
              Attached Files

Comment

• freestyle
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Dennis Kaczor
                Hello all that replied to this, I have checked and rechecked the Usergroup permissions and they are fine.

There is no reason that I can find to see why others can edit any of the articles on the CMS Home page, and I'm still looking for that and will check again after I finnish the message.

Attached is a screen capture of the CMS permissions, this is simple enough to figure out, and there is no reason why if I put Read Only the members and Guests cannot access this page, but check mark the Publish and they have access, I must be missing something here but what?
                See my above reply.

You have "Can Use HTML in CMS Content" checked for a number of groups. That allows them FULL ACCESS TO EDIT AND DELETE ARTICLES IN THE CMS.

Be careful, this software isn't finished and it appears everyone in the company is working on the multiple issues behind the scenes (and not responding to their community forums).

Comment

• Dennis Kaczor
                  • Sep 2005
                  • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by freestyle
                  See my above reply.

You have "Can Use HTML in CMS Content" checked for a number of groups. That allows them FULL ACCESS TO EDIT AND DELETE ARTICLES IN THE CMS.

Be careful, this software isn't finished and it appears everyone in the company is working on the multiple issues behind the scenes (and not responding to their community forums).
                  Thanks for the reply, but if you looked at the attachment that I posted this shows only up to the Published area as I don't have HTML selected except for the Administrator. If I turn off the Can Publish for the members and Guests the problem is that they cannot access the CMS page at all, this is strange but the only way to have the users access this page. What I find very strange is that any member can edit any article on this page, and I have checked every where I can on my site for that issue and on here and I cannot find a darn thing. Bigs me that all the users can access my content. I'm starting to wonder if I made the right discussion on getting the suite now.

The permiisions for this area don't work period and you are right there is no feedback from the company that I can see from seraching on this area. If this does not get resolved in the next release I will be thinking of killing the CMS area and go back to what I used in the past that worked. The funny thing is the permissions are so simple and straight forward, but don't work the way they should.

If anyone has any ideas why others can edit my content or why I need to have publish check in order for users to see the page let me know, I'm willing to try to fix this.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

The answer is probably much simpler than all of the above. You need to make sure your sections are published. Edit them and set them to published. Then users only need Read Access to see them. You can quickly Publish all sections using the Section Manager in the Admin CP.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dennis Kaczor
                      • Sep 2005
                      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      The answer is probably much simpler than all of the above. You need to make sure your sections are published. Edit them and set them to published. Then users only need Read Access to see them. You can quickly Publish all sections using the Section Manager in the Admin CP.
                      Hi Wayne,

All of the items on the page had been set to published, so that rules out that problem. It makes no sense to me at this time as to why I have Can Read set and no other check marks and the users cannot access this CMS Home page, once I clicked published they can see the page, plus all users can edit any data on that front page as it stands. So there is really two issues here that I cannot seem to address the problem.

The bigest one for me is that Guests can access the edits, and I don't know where I can change this other than in the permissions in CMS? Right now I don't want to add anymore content in fear that some guest is going to delete all the work that I have done.

So really the permissions don't work as should. If you have any other suggestions please let me know as this is starting to get very frustrating for me searching on here. Thanks for your suggestion just the same.

Comment

• freestyle
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Dennis Kaczor
                        Thanks for the reply, but if you looked at the attachment that I posted this shows only up to the Published area as I don't have HTML selected except for the Administrator. If I turn off the Can Publish for the members and Guests the problem is that they cannot access the CMS page at all, this is strange but the only way to have the users access this page. What I find very strange is that any member can edit any article on this page, and I have checked every where I can on my site for that issue and on here and I cannot find a darn thing. Bigs me that all the users can access my content. I'm starting to wonder if I made the right discussion on getting the suite now.

The permiisions for this area don't work period and you are right there is no feedback from the company that I can see from seraching on this area. If this does not get resolved in the next release I will be thinking of killing the CMS area and go back to what I used in the past that worked. The funny thing is the permissions are so simple and straight forward, but don't work the way they should.

If anyone has any ideas why others can edit my content or why I need to have publish check in order for users to see the page let me know, I'm willing to try to fix this.
                        I did assume the last column was the HTML column... you're right there.

But the bug I described is definitely there, and I'm not sure how it manifests itself... For instance, you have "Can publish" checked for UNregistered / Not logged in users. I can see that having the same effect and allowing everyone to have complete editor controls on your content. I haven't tested it, but "can publish" might cause the same behavior as "can use html" as far as this editing bug goes.

And I know what you mean about the rest... I have the same issue. Right now I am in testing and I have Moderators set to "Can Read" ONLY... And guess what? They can't read the home page.... but they can link to all the subsections... I'm going to review what Wayne Luke said and see if my section is considered unpublished or not... maybe that will solve that part of the issue.

Comment

• freestyle
                          • Jun 2005

Nope... All my sections are published too... That still doesn't fix it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

You should open a support ticket then so we can get access to your site and see what the problem is. I cannot recreate this issue on a clean installation.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dennis Kaczor
                              • Sep 2005
                              • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by freestyle
                              I did assume the last column was the HTML column... you're right there.

But the bug I described is definitely there, and I'm not sure how it manifests itself... For instance, you have "Can publish" checked for UNregistered / Not logged in users. I can see that having the same effect and allowing everyone to have complete editor controls on your content. I haven't tested it, but "can publish" might cause the same behavior as "can use html" as far as this editing bug goes.

And I know what you mean about the rest... I have the same issue. Right now I am in testing and I have Moderators set to "Can Read" ONLY... And guess what? They can't read the home page.... but they can link to all the subsections... I'm going to review what Wayne Luke said and see if my section is considered unpublished or not... maybe that will solve that part of the issue.
                              I agree, just cannot seem to rectify why I need can publish to get the users to see the page, and than this opens a whole can a worms for the CMS page, and again why does everyone have access to the articles, there sure is a problem witn this software. But the biggest problem is gettiing help for these issues, I have spent 2 days looking for fixes on here and on my system and keep having the same old thing happen.

Thanks

Dennis

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...