Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinchappell
    • Nov 2009

[CMS] Filter articles alphabetically like members

After looking around and taking note of the posts that get replies I thought I would try again.

I want to alphabetically filter contact like it is done with memberlist.php

I noticed that even incredibly stupid questions get replies if the poster includes a picture so...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	letterbits..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	3715019

The red text indicates where I would like to place my bar-o-letters for users to click. Kind of like this page...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	memberlist..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	3715020

I dont expect anyone to come up with the code for me (though it would be nice). Perhaps some kind soul could point me in right direction. I have been reading Edwin's and Lynne's blog and code and I am quite impressed. Really any help would make my day.

Oh and while I am begging is there a way to apply a layout to list.php, sendmessage.php, memberlist.php etc.

Thank you.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

This is really something better suited for vbulletin.org, the modification site. Over there is an article on how to make that alphabetical filter to put at the top of a forum. You could take that code and change it to make the links correct, and then put it in an html widget. Create a layout with a widget that goes across the top, and put that widget in there.

(And yes, images really do help. Even though it is obvious to you what you want, sometimes it just isn't as clear to us when we've been reading a ton of other posts and everything starts to get scrambled. A picture, though, usually paints a good picture.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• kevinchappell
      • Nov 2009

Cool thanks Lynne. I did a search over there but didnt find anything. I will take another look.

Just adding an update because I hate reading unresolved threads so I imagine others do too. I accomplished the filtering by a php function called getInitial() to grab the first letter of the title. It is basically getTitle() but instead of return $this->title; it is return $this->title[0];
      Then my widget template grabs the variable from the url and sends it to the direct exec php widget which injects some JavaScript to handle the rest if a variable isset.

I know there is a more efficient way of doing this but I will stick with what I know for now since I needed this done super fast.
      Last edited by kevinchappell; Sat 27 Feb '10, 11:37am. Reason: more infos

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...