"Insert Image" & Post Attachment - difference?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bogley
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] "Insert Image" & Post Attachment - difference?

So when a user is writing a post, they can "Insert Image" from above the editor, or they can add an attachment with the "Manage Attachments".

What's the difference? They can add a photo either way, but the methods are slightly different. I also notice that the "attachments" have a window around them and the "insert images" don't.

I chose not to have thumbnails on my forum, and the attachments are viewed inline.

What's the advantage of having two different methods for uploading photos?
  • cmmguy
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.8.x

Insert image is linked to an external source, ie another website.
    Attachments are images saved within the system itself either in the database or a folder.
    vBulletin 3.8.2

Comment

• bogley
      • Dec 2009
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by cmmguy
      Insert image is linked to an external source, ie another website.
      Attachments are images saved within the system itself either in the database or a folder.
      It might be different in earlier versions, but in 4.0.2 the "insert image" lets you select from your computer or from url, and the add attachments lets you do the same thing, but in a different way.

Kind of strange.

Comment

• cmmguy
        • Apr 2008
        • 3.8.x

When you click on insert image, it always asks for a URL. Do you mean your web server when you say "your computer"?
        vBulletin 3.8.2

Comment

• bogley
          • Dec 2009
          • 3.8.x

Hopefully these attachments will describe a little better.

There are 2 methods of adding "attachments", and then another method to "insert an image". Either method will let me add one from my computer OR a url. I'm just wondering what the difference is.

If it's totally up to preference, I'll look into removing one of the methods so it doesn't confuse my members. Can I remove one of these methods?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

If you click on Manage Attachments, you have the option of attaching an image from your Attachments folder. You also may then choose to click on a button and upload an image from your computer or a url. The little image button in the editor is like a quick way to attach something. The Manage Attachments button is like the full blown method. (Like Quick Reply versus Reply to Thread kind of?)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• bogley
              • Dec 2009
              • 3.8.x

Thanks Lynne.

(testing this....)

Click image for larger version

Name:	file..png
Views:	2
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	3678142

OK, I see. I used "Insert Image" to insert the image above (named file.png), and I'm noticing now that it's under my "Manage Attachments" menu below.

It's just that the "insert" method puts the image inline, and the "attach" method adds them below the post. I'll have to decide if that's confusing, if different members will use different methods. I'd like to have it all uniform. Is there a way to hide or disable the "attachment" method so they are forced to "insert image"? ---or vice versa.

Thanks.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

You may insert the images from the Manage Attachments inline also. Once you upload them using Manage Attachments, they are available to add inline via the little paperclip in the editor.

If you don't want them to use the Manage Attachments method, then I suppose you could edit the template and take out that part of the code. (Not really sure exactly what you would do since I've never tried it before.)

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• bogley
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                  You may insert the images from the Manage Attachments inline also.
                  Ah, I see. Thanks!

Comment

• flegul
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                    If you don't want them to use the Manage Attachments method, then I suppose you could edit the template and take out that part of the code. (Not really sure exactly what you would do since I've never tried it before.)
                    Hi All.

Has anyone managed to hide the attachment box while retaining the benefits of the image upload via the editor ( not just ending up with the paste url ) is there a way to hide it without editing the templates ?

Cheers

Comment

• flegul
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 3.8.x

Bump

Anyone ? ..............pleeeeeeeease

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

Since this issue has to do with modifying the code, you may get more help over on vbulletin.org, the modification site.

Comment

• flegul
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 3.8.x

Okey Dokey, I shall take a walk over there. Thanks

Comment