v4.0.2 - A serious Session corruption bug!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • screenmates
    • Feb 2010

v4.0.2 - A serious Session corruption bug!!

If I install 2 instances of vB on my localhost, load them up (even in two different brands of browsers), log into one of them - I notice all the links in the second installation instance are pointing to the first instance installation - FOREVER - even after I logout of the first installation instance. This could be due to the way vb_session is altered into a MEMORY table during installation. I expected the session cookie to be unique to the browser's brand, URL, etc but it is not!! The only way to fix my corrupted second installation is to reinstall it from scratch I was copying my old settings into my new installation and noticed this bug.
  • cory_booth
    • Feb 2009

Did you post this in "Projects" ?

Comment

• TheHideoutGuy
      • Sep 2001

Are these 2 instances by chance sharing the same database? If so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Also, this is the suggestions forum, it's not for reporting bugs., if you feel it's a bug please report it here.
      Boardoo.com - Hosting, Software, WHMCS Addons, and whole lot more.
      Featuring vBLink :: The vBulletin Integration Suite for WHMCS

Comment

• screenmates
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by TheHideoutGuy
        Are these 2 instances by chance sharing the same database? If so I wonder if that has something to do with it. Also, this is the suggestions forum, it's not for reporting bugs., if you feel it's a bug please report it here.
        No. They are 2 different databases, 2 different login credentials, 2 different URLs, 2 different browsers (safari/firefox).

Comment

• screenmates
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by TheHideoutGuy

Comment

• RadioErewan
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Do you use memcache?

Comment

• TheHideoutGuy
              • Sep 2001

I don't have an explanation of that. I have 2 localhost licenses installed on my development PC in the office and have never experienced that. What about RadioErewan's suggestion of memcache?
              And I'll further that by asking if you have configured the datastore to use XCache too? In either case there is no need to use any sort of caching mechanism on a development site unless you are testing functionality directly related to it.

Knowing the inner workings of both systems, they all use shared memory and all data stored in either of these two cache systems is global. A variable stored as $test by one script can be accessed by another, therefore if you have two vBulletins using datastore cache running on the same server, as the same user (suPHP, Windows Application Pool, etc), this can easily happen. My suggestion is to disable all caching on your dev sites.
              Boardoo.com - Hosting, Software, WHMCS Addons, and whole lot more.
              Featuring vBLink :: The vBulletin Integration Suite for WHMCS

Comment

• RadioErewan
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.8.x

Two memcache installs interferred badly (settings changes propagating from one install to another). Found it during testvb installs cloning. Both installs were using different databases, but forgot to disable memcache on test environment.

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Moved to vB4 Troubleshooting forum.

Did you enter a different cookie prefix for each board in your config.php page?

(And I'll second the suggestion of disabling caching on a test system.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Sfitzgerald
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 3.8.x

yea i had this same issue and it was the cookie prefix that was messing with me and I also disabled the caching on my test board

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...