Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biker
    • Oct 2003

[Forum] VBulletin and Chrome issue?

Some of my users who use Chrome have been running into an issue that I'm having one hell of a time trying to nail down. I don't know if it's a Chrome issue, vBulletin issue, or even a server issue.

Bascially what happens is this. They'll be viewing the forums just fine, and then they'll click on a link and receive an error (Ooops! The link appears to be broken.). Here's where the really weird thing happens. When they get this error, their PC can no longer access the site for a few hours. And that's using ANY browser. And a couple of users have stated it affects all the computers on their network. In other words, when one PC receives the error, it affects all other computers on their network as far as accessing the site.

There are no similarities between the users that are affected, other than it only happens when they use Chrome. They're all using different AV packages, different routers, different firewalls, etc.

I've gone through all the logs on the server and I can't find anything that would point to a server issue. It's a dedicated box running Centos 5.4. And security wise, there's nothing popping up on the mod_security logs, nor is there anything appearing on the lfd and csf logs.

Has anyone else run across this one? I'd suspect a Chrome stack issue (since Chrome uses the exact same settings that IE does), but why would it affect every other computer on that network?
    I drank WHAT?! - Socrates
  • Dunhamzzz
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.8.x

A very strange one indeed. I can't think how it would then affect all browsers and an entire network though. Almost sounds ISP related.

Comment

• Biker
      • Oct 2003

I don't know. I don't think it's ISP related as the users are scattered all over the world and are using different ISPs.

Comment

• sulasno
        • Feb 2010

I would like to know what version of Chrome is running and whether clearing the cache resolves the issue?

I am using 5.0.322.2 dev with WinXP SP3 to post this
        http://sulasno.bravehost.com/android.png

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

Could it be a DNS issue?

Try: http://www.intodns.com/
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Biker
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by sulasno
            I would like to know what version of Chrome is running and whether clearing the cache resolves the issue?

I am using 5.0.322.2 dev with WinXP SP3 to post this
            Latest versions are being used by all users reporting the problem. Clearing cookies and cache did not resolve the issue. Resetting the TCP/IP stack did not resolve the issue.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
            Could it be a DNS issue?

Try: http://www.intodns.com/
            DNS is fine. A couple of minor issues I need to correct one of these days, however, this is a case of someone being able to surf the site just fine, and then **boom**. They get the error message and are unable to access the site again. This ONLY happens with Chrome.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

ASk them to visit vbulletin.com and see if they have issues here
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• jadmperry
                • May 2007
                • 4.0.x

Not sure if this is any help at all, but I can tell you I use Chrome (latest version) and updated to 4.02 late on Thursday night, and have not had any problem with Chrome browser....(I am keeping my fingers crossed that this does not pop up for me). My only point is that I can't reproduce this bug (more or less)...good luck!

Comment

• nforums
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Biker
                  Some of my users who use Chrome have been running into an issue that I'm having one hell of a time trying to nail down. I don't know if it's a Chrome issue, vBulletin issue, or even a server issue.

Bascially what happens is this. They'll be viewing the forums just fine, and then they'll click on a link and receive an error (Ooops! The link appears to be broken.). Here's where the really weird thing happens. When they get this error, their PC can no longer access the site for a few hours. And that's using ANY browser. And a couple of users have stated it affects all the computers on their network. In other words, when one PC receives the error, it affects all other computers on their network as far as accessing the site.

There are no similarities between the users that are affected, other than it only happens when they use Chrome. They're all using different AV packages, different routers, different firewalls, etc.

I've gone through all the logs on the server and I can't find anything that would point to a server issue. It's a dedicated box running Centos 5.4. And security wise, there's nothing popping up on the mod_security logs, nor is there anything appearing on the lfd and csf logs.

Has anyone else run across this one? I'd suspect a Chrome stack issue (since Chrome uses the exact same settings that IE does), but why would it affect every other computer on that network?
                  After that happens have them go to command prompt and

ipconfig /release
                  ipconfig /renew

and try to access the site. If they can it maybe a ISP problem, tell them to try to use custom nameservers (DNS1: 8.8.8.8 and DNS2: 8.8.4.4) and try to browse around the site.

Comment

• nforums
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                    ASk them to visit vbulletin.com and see if they have issues here
                    Issues only occur AFTER the software is purchased, not during a visit

Comment

• Biker
                      • Oct 2003

It appears this is an issue with Chrome and certain firewalls and how they're set. This was sitting in my inbox this morning:

Comment #54 on issue 3041 by [email protected]: DNS pre-fetching causes frequent internet loss

The following revision refers to this bug:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      r42181 | [email protected] | 2010-03-19 22:41:42 -0700 (Fri, 19 Mar 2010) | 33 lines
                      Changed paths:
                      M http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrom...42181&r2=42180

2 experiments: DNS prefetch limit concurrency: TCP split a packet

Some firewalls apparently try to preclude a "syn flood to host" by limiting
                      the number of syn's (used to open a TCP/IP socket) that are outstanding
                      without having received a syn-ack. Presumably this is to prevent a user
                      from participating in a syn-flood attack (which traditional sends a lot
                      of syn packets, with false return addresses, resulting in no responses).

Apparently this firewall technology has in some cases been extended
                      to include UDP sessions for which there has been no response, and this
                      may include DNS resolutions. Since the prefetcher currently resolves
                      as many as 8 names simultaneously, this is remarkably close to the
                      reported threshold of 10 un-answered connections. This test attempts
                      to limit connections to 2, 4, or 6, so that we can see if this helps
                      users.

In TCP, the RTO remains (under windows) at a full 3 seconds until after the
                      first ack is received. As a result, if the first data packet sent (after
                      the SYN) is lost, then TCP won't resend until after 3 seconds without an ack.
                      As a test, we split up the first packet into two parts (the second part
                      containing only one byte). This is done as an A/B test, and we'll see
                      if we get a measurable improvement in page-load-time latency.

Finally, to get better page load stats, I adjusted the PLT histograms
                      so that we record a "final" time for abandoned pages when they are
                      closed (even if they didn't finish rendering, etc.). This should give
                      a much more fair PLT comparison for all network latency experiments.

BUG=3041
                      BUG=12754
                      r=mbelshe,darin
                      Review URL: http://codereview.chromium.org/1088002
                      Since I first reported this, I've upgraded the firewall on the server a couple of times and this may have fixed the issue with my users (at least they haven't complained about the issue over the past couple of weeks!). Posting this here just in case others run into the problem.

Comment