how long should it take to build a search index after upgrading from 3.8.4 to 4.0.2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markwein
    • Feb 2009

[Forum] how long should it take to build a search index after upgrading from 3.8.4 to 4.0.2?

If this gives you any idea of the size of the forum:

Threads 11,726 Posts 170,958 Members 411 Active Members 173

not the biggest forum at all. this thing has been running for a couple of hours and I'm currently at: Building Search Index Null Type 111250 :: 250
    MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!
  • icarusforde
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

It took my forum of 150,000 posts just over an hour.... Varies on server though, and size of DB. Not sure how to estimate it though sorry.

Comment

• markwein
      • Feb 2009

ok...I'm going to red it tonight before I go to bed, then...I appreciate it!
      MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!

Comment

• ShyGuy82
        • Feb 2007

took me about 12 hours with 400k+ posts.
        Speed up your member list page by at least 5x (4.x.x)

http://nicknameregister.com/files/20...0/ShyGuy82.jpg

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

Took me around 7-8 hours for 800K posts. As stated through, it really depends on the server.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Bacon Butty
            • Jun 2005

Guys, sorry to bump an older thread but can I open the forums while the search index is being rebuilt?

Comment

• encryption
              • May 2005

Funny thing is my post count is 836,112 when making this post but my Search Rebuild has hit 839,000. Dunno what I missed
              www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
              www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• icarusforde
                • Feb 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Bacon Butty
                Guys, sorry to bump an older thread but can I open the forums while the search index is being rebuilt?
                In theory, yes, but it wouldn't be a great idea. For one, your server is going overtime already, and two, if people try to search = epic fail.

Originally posted by encryption
                Funny thing is my post count is 836,112 when making this post but my Search Rebuild has hit 839,000. Dunno what I missed
                Possibly tags and such?

Comment

• wynode
                  • Aug 2004

What about keeping the forum open while rebuilding the search index BUT disabling the search function:

AdmincP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options -> Search Engine Enabled -> No

That way people can still use the site? Would that be a good alternative?

Comment

• Riasat
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wynode
                    What about keeping the forum open while rebuilding the search index BUT disabling the search function:

AdmincP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options -> Search Engine Enabled -> No

That way people can still use the site? Would that be a good alternative?
                    don't worry about these. you can keep the forums open with search enabled while rebuilding index.

Comment

• wynode
                      • Aug 2004

FYI, 1.4Million posts on a dedicated server with Search disabled took around 12 hours (had to restart once)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...