Vbulletin database error but i can still access database via phpMyAdmin, wat's wrong?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lance77
    • Aug 2008
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] Vbulletin database error but i can still access database via phpMyAdmin, wat's wrong?

Hi everyone,

i have a technical error that's been bothering me.

I encounter Vbulletin database error with my two forums now and then
    ( http://www.asiaphoto.com/forum.php - running VB4.0.1 )
    ( http://www.photographybeijing.com - running v3.8.4 )

such database errors go like

Database error The database has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
    • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    • Open the www.asiaphoto.com home page, then try to open another page.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.asiaphoto.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.
    i have a couple of joomla websites also running on databases and they encounter similar database errors too.

right now, both the forums and the joomla websites have been down for the past 90 minutes.

Yet ironically, i can access the databases via PhpMyAdmin where i can still read the data plus do backups.

Anyone has any idea what's wrong?

i'm using Mediatemple for webhosting.
  • lance77
    • Aug 2008
    • 3.6.x

Just to update....

the access to PhpMyAdmin is also intermittent.

I lost connection when my forum database backup is about 3/4 downloaded

then i got logged out of PhyMyAdmin...

and when i try to log in again, i get a

#2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

btw, my forum databases have been down for the past 100 minutes but the static html pages are still accessible...

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

Lost connect to MySQL server is a server issue. Have you talked to your host about this issue? (And MySQL isn't required for static html pages which is why they are just fine.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• lance77
        • Aug 2008
        • 3.6.x

Thanks Lynne,

the problem happens on MediaTemple's side. there's a misbehaving firewall at their end.

due to the nature of this issue (being a misbehaving firewall), it's not going to show up in our traditional monitoring metrics because, technically speaking, the server was functioning just fine during this time period. However, there was a marked decrease in traffic from about 4.30am PST until my first response to you. I also noted that the "uptime" on the host server was about 110 minutes when it was fixed, which would probably correlate to whenever the firewall error occurred (or at least took effect, after a reboot.) So I would imagine 110 minutes to be a good estimate regarding the length of time your database experienced latency. However, since the (gs) Grid-Service is set up to have many nodes connecting to each host server, it's possible many nodes were down for a much shorter period of time.

This firewall resides in our own datacenter, here in Los Angeles. It is an internal, (mt) Media Temple-controlled firewall, and we had to physically reset its configurations to bring it back to normal function. There isn't anything you can do to prevent this in the future, because this was a one-time problem within our own network. We apologize for the inconvenience,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...