X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GPexa
    • Dec 2003

[Forum] Adding a thread prefix to every thread in one forum

Hi all,

My forum is in urgent need of a forum cleanup and reduction of amount of forums. The way I planned to do this was to add a prefix to existing forums which were going to be sacrificed and to then mass move all threads into another forum.

The only threads I've been able to find have had nil success, but one thread had a story of a successful solution:-

It suggested the use of the following query:-

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
    Run Query to Mass Add *
    Selected Prefix to forum 'Y' with prefix 'X'
    # replace vbb_ with your vB table prefix Example: [vbb_thread] if non leave blank
    # replace X with Prefix Set ID (id)
    # replace Y with forum (id) number

Code:
    UPDATE thread, forum SET thread.prefixid = [COLOR=Red]X[/COLOR] WHERE thread.forumid = forum.forumid AND forum.forumid = [COLOR=Blue]Y[/COLOR]
    *Note: Make sure you have made a working database backup prior to running any custom.queries
    I tried running this on my test vb installation with forumid of 2 and prefixid of fs (the prefix I intend to use, and yes - it's set up correctly) but it failed with the following error:-

An error occurred while attempting to execute your query. The following information was returned.
    error number: 1054
    error desc: Unknown column 'fs' in 'field list'
    Anyone have any ideas, or any easier way to do this?

Many cheers!
  • doggiebs
    • Sep 2008

here is the answer.

it works a treat i have tried it.

You have to setup the prefixes first.

Comment

• GPexa
      • Dec 2003

Worked a charm!! Thank you very much for the link!

Comment

• doggiebs
        • Sep 2008

you are welcome, the real star is Rebecca217 for the info

Comment

• encryption
          • May 2005

sorry to bump up an old thread (searching for an answer lead me here). is there a to force users to use a thread prefix in a specific forum i.e. they won't be able to submit a new thread without selecting a thread prefix? I know vb.com has it in this forum but I couldn't find the solution on how to implement it.
          www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
          www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• SuperGLS
            • Nov 2004

Yeah, AdminCP > Forums and Moderators > Forum Manager > Select a Forum > Scroll down to the bottom and there are the options for what set of prefixes to use and if they have to be used.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...