Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lam
    • Jan 2010

[Forum] Newbie can't hide links

I am new to vB but want to have a private forum for my organization. I have no programming or administrative experience and don't know what contributors mean when they post about wrappers or tags.

I'm useing vB 4.0 hosted at urljet. I'm trying to find the way to hide/remove the 'Today's Post's, FAQ's, Calendar, Community, Forun Actions, & Quick Link' options from the Login page while keeping them available for forum members after login.

I've checked the manual and this forum but can't find that info or I'm not understanding what I'm reading. Is there a way to further 'privatize' our forum?

I appreciate any help someone has the time to give. Thank you.

After More Reading; Am I on the right track in thinking that this happens in the templates section using conditionals? Altering the PHP code?
    Last edited by lam; Sat 23 Jan '10, 7:05am. Reason: After More Reading
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Yes, you are on the right track in thinking this would be done in the templates.... more specifically, the navbar template in this case. If you only want the links to show to logged in users (members), then you would wrap the code in a condition like this:
    Code:
    <vb:if condition="$show['member']">
    stuff you only want logged in members to see
    </vb:if>
    It sounds like you are talking about 'hiding' the whole Forum tab submenu to non-members, so, open the navbar template and find this section:
    Code:
            <vb:if condition="!$vboptions['selectednavtab'] AND THIS_SCRIPT != 'search'">
                <li class="selected"><a class="navtab" href="{vb:raw vboptions.forumhome}.php{vb:raw session.sessionurl_q}">{vb:rawphrase forum}</a>
    [COLOR=Red]<vb:if condition="$show['member']">[/COLOR]
                    <ul class="floatcontainer">
    Insert the red code.
    Then find this and insert the red code:
    Code:
                        {vb:raw template_hook.navbar_end}
                    </ul>
    [COLOR=Red]</vb:if>[/COLOR]
                </li>
                    <vb:elseif condition="$vboptions['selectednavtab']=='usercp'" />
                <li class="selected"><a class="navtab" href="{vb:raw vboptions.forumhome}.php{vb:raw session.sessionurl_q}">{vb:rawphrase forum}</a>
    [COLOR=Red]<vb:if condition="$show['member']">[/COLOR]
                    <ul class="floatcontainer">
                        {vb:raw template_hook.navbar_start}
    And continue, and add in code here:
    Code:
                                {vb:raw template_hook.navbar_quick_links_menu_pos4}
                            </ul>
                        </li>
                        {vb:raw template_hook.navbar_end}
                    </ul>
    [COLOR=Red]</vb:if>[/COLOR]
                </li>
            <vb:else />
    I am pretty sure that should do it for you (I haven't tried it, so do it on a test site or test style).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• lam
      • Jan 2010

Lynne, thank you. Now that I know where to look I'll focus on Styles & Templates. Once I get some kind of a foundation I'll try your answer and let you know how it works out. This isn't my paying job so I'm not sure when that will be but I won't forget to let you know. Thanks again.

Comment