I've Lost 1/3 of my Members signing in Since vB4.01 update

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Princeton
    • Sep 2001

Analytics can help you pinpoint problems and improve your site's content and/or design ... you can do this via conversions, goals, funnels, etc or just use the basics such as Bounce Rate, Exit Pages, etc

sometimes all you need to do is review Bounce Rate, Exit Pages, etc .. these numbers alone can help you determine if a "change" is working as designed or needs tweaking

for example...
    you just upgraded your web site ... the upgrade was smooth but participation and registration have dropped since then - not sure what's causing the drop

an increase in Bounce Rate (before vs after the upgrade) can tell you something is wrong - something is turning visitors off ... maybe it's just the index page or another page

the same applies to Exit Pages - and increase can suggest that something is wrong with a particular page ... for example, a high number could suggest that something is wrong with the layout/design of that particular page ... maybe the page is taking too long to load - did you recently add a new widget(s)? changed the layout of the index page? changed colors? etc, etc

registration dropping...
    with goals and funnels, you can compare registration rates ... are people filling it out or exiting the page; if they are exiting the page at an increased level maybe something is wrong with the registration process

there is so much more that you can do with Google Analytics...

- Track Marketing Campaigns (Are you getting your money's worth on a campaign? You don't want to put money on a campaign that isn't working for you do you.)

- Content Performance (if you find traffic is decreasing maybe it's time to change the contents on your site ... find out what content items are performing the best

- Segmentation allows you to slice into large amounts of data into smaller reports. For example, segmenting Search Engines traffic sources can tell you if visitors from Yahoo spend more time on your site vs google or msn.
    Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
    How to Monetize Your Site

More features does NOT equal progress (Less is More)

Administrator:
    vBulletin.org - #1 Community for vBulletin Modifications
    allnurses.com - #1 Community for Nurses

Comment

• DT1014
      • Feb 2006
      • 3.5.x

Well considering vbulletin made the forum software even HARDER to use, its no wonder you lost members. They continue to develop this for those of us who have used it for 10+ years. The slightest change of wording or design throws the average forum USER way off. Think like a newbie.... vbulletin is tough to use... terminology, navigation, etc. ALL OF IT......

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by DT1014
        Well considering vbulletin made the forum software even HARDER to use, its no wonder you lost members.
        I agree there is a tendency to enable every feature available which makes a forum difficult to use. Thankfully most items are easily disabled. Those that are not easily disabled, we as admins should request vbulletin to enhance the code by making those items easy to disable.

Comment

• molieman
          • Nov 2006

I started this thread, so as far as my part, I must end it

Since the 17th, my numbers are now back, to where they were before the update. Still scratching my head why this all happened.

I appreciate all the support and advise that has been given me, mostly I will take serious.

Thank you all,
          Matt Olieman
          mycockpit.org

Comment

• L-Mane
            • Sep 2002
            • 3.6.x

My traffic is down 40% since the upgrade.

Comment

• sportsfi
              • Oct 2008
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by molieman
              I started this thread, so as far as my part, I must end it

Since the 17th, my numbers are now back, to where they were before the update. Still scratching my head why this all happened.

I appreciate all the support and advise that has been given me, mostly I will take serious.

Thank you all,
              Matt Olieman
              mycockpit.org

Thanks for coming back to let us know - did you ask those members where they were? Thanks for not turning this into a whinge thread that others who have replied have tried to do - really appreciate it.

Comment

• maximutt
                • Feb 2008
                • 4.0.x

Originally posted by molieman
                Anyone else that has experience a slump and now are seeing an increase in numbers?
                Wow! I thought this was only happening to me!

I, too, lost one third of my members. I have no idea why it happened but it may have been a login/cookie issue. A few people did contact me to say they could not log in. I had to manually change their password and send them new login info before they could get in. Only now, after I changed my cookie prefix in config.php, has my site stats started to return to normal and the complaints have stopped. I'm going to watch it pretty close this week.

On a side note, I'd like to use Analytics but I keep getting an error when I paste in the script code. I got script code in use all over but only Google's is causing me grief. I'm sure I can't be the only one.

Comment

• DT1014
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by maximutt

On a side note, I'd like to use Analytics but I keep getting an error when I paste in the script code. I got script code in use all over but only Google's is causing me grief. I'm sure I can't be the only one.
                  When you drop your analytic code in the footer, surround it with VB literal tags. Like this:

Code:
                  <vb:literal>

#### CODE HERE ###

</vb:literal>
                  That will stop the error.

Comment

• maximutt
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by DT1014
                    That will stop the error.
                    Thanks DT1014! You just made my day!

Comment

• xsquid
                      • Oct 2009

lol, so what you're saying is people hate the 4.0 to 4.01 change? Or are you talking about 3.X to 4.0.. A little confusing Xsquid

By new version I ,mean 3. to 4., 4.0 to 4.0.1 is just a maintenance upgrade.

Mine are still down, It may make a difference that I have a lot of older members.

Comment

• Hidjra
                        • Jan 2002
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by xsquid
                        By new version I ,mean 3. to 4., 4.0 to 4.0.1 is just a maintenance upgrade.

Mine are still down, It may make a difference that I have a lot of older members.
                        I have this problem too !!
                        I lost about 40 % members !!!
                        It was'nt me, it was the one armed man

Comment

• AGIRABI
                          • Oct 2005

Upgrade to 4.0.3 immediately it is definetely faster...

And don't use so fancy templates which has rounded corners...

You will be happy with the results...

Comment

• Hidjra
                            • Jan 2002
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by AGIRABI
                            Upgrade to 4.0.3 immediately it is definetely faster...

And don't use so fancy templates which has rounded corners...

You will be happy with the results...
                            I am already running the newest version 4.0.3...
                            My members still droping ...

i lost -33% on pagevieuws
                            and about -20 % vistors
                            boucing increased by+ 2 %
                            It was'nt me, it was the one armed man

Comment

• molieman
                              • Nov 2006

I started this thread and had given up on this. My AWSTATS show a continued increase of visitors and hits, but members signing in are down a 1/3 or sometimes more. I've got a similar situation as Hidjra.

I've even tried different methods of encouraged members to sign in, but the numbers stay low.

I see the numbers of current members signed in, and seems as usual (before vB4), but the totals over a 24 hour period continue to be low.

I wonder if there has been a calculation change in the scripts?

Comment

• hababam
                                • Apr 2010

check my topic

www.hababam.nl

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...