I've Lost 1/3 of my Members signing in Since vB4.01 update

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddmud
    • Oct 2009

lol, so what you're saying is people hate the 4.0 to 4.01 change? Or are you talking about 3.X to 4.0.. A little confusing Xsquid.
    Jason Craig – Partner
    Wet Coast Sports LTD
    Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

• vivamexico55
      • Mar 2005

I'm thinking it has to do with problems logging in. Cookies, probably. I got a few emails from the more addicted members of my forum, but for those loyal users, who knows how many never bothered to log in again? Or their password stopped working, or something?

I'm getting about the same traffic in my site (about 5k per day), but less users logged in overall.

Comment

• molieman
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by xsquid
        I thought it was just me, my registered members visiting is also down about a third, have been watching closely every day. There is a segment that just hates this new version
        I've got a handful of folks who hate the new layout, there were quite a few who liked it, compared to a few thousand who have not commented. Oh well But that isn't the reason why I lost 1/3 of members not signing in.

Comment

• Bergler
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Kefallon
          Are you sure they can login had problems when i upgraded with significant number of people unable to login..
          I had the same problem, members emailing me saying they cant login! Im begining to think this might have been a mistake to upgrade before it went gold. Oh wait, it did wait till it went gold, with all the issues it seems like a beta still.

Comment

• john1744
            • Apr 2005

There are definitely some cookie issues, I myself am having issues staying logged in. Also the fact it was damn hard to recreate our old 3.8 style and we still haven't quite perfected our previous look.

Comment

• Al Zander
              • Aug 2001

This is a known recurring problem over the last couple of updates. Happens for some (sites), not for others. related thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...is-not-working!!

I can understand how some members, after being repeatedly logged out, would give up on repeatedly signing in.

Comment

• audiokid
                • Apr 2009
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by oddmud
                There's an issue in the upgrade for this, it's on the first and last post of the thread. There is already a fix in place posted on another thread.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1902921
                I don't believe this link has anything to do with the OP question. Or am I wrong? I'm actually loving the wrapping of the text on first and last posts, now that I know why.

Re the OP. I have had members express that they have not been able to login from 4.0. They have now simply left my site. I'm very concerned and baffled as to why. I can login no problem on three different machines using Safari , IE 8 and FireFox.
                That being said, my stats have gone way down since I migrated to this CMS. Even though I'm very concerned, I'm not loosing faith because I've done major upgrades before. There are always sags before it gets better.
                I really like the new system. My members really like it as well. It ROCKS for me. But I am not going from vB 3 to this. I'm going from one CMS to another and was able to migrate it all over perfectly. No image issues, no loss in threads, its went near perfect. I guess I feel lucky when I hear the problems others describe.

Lets all ask this question:

How do you like visiting vBulletin forums?
                That's what sold me. If someone says they don't like it I simply don't care at this point. My conclusion really... If members don't like it, its because they don't like change and they don't like anything other than forums they are used to. IMO, the 3.x vB is pretty ugly compared to this.
                I can tell you first hand, there are people who will ***** and complain and try to pull you back. You have to ask yourself, why are you changing to a CMS? Why do you want to upgrade to 4.0 in the first place? Don't do it just because its new. Do it because you like what you see. If you like it, why wouldn't others like what you like?

hope this helps some of you.
                Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
                created for musicians, by musicians

Comment

• L-Mane
                  • Sep 2002
                  • 3.6.x

Same here also. I think it's due to a lot of people not being able to login. Also a lot of people hate the new look.

Comment

• molieman
                    • Nov 2006

Miraculousness the over all numbers jumped up yesterday but not quite where it was before my update. I will see what this day brings. This certainly is strange. More people are signing in, none have commented on not being able to sign in earlier.

Anyone else that has experience a slump and now are seeing an increase in numbers?

Comment

• Ramsesx
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by molieman
                      Miraculousness the over all numbers jumped up yesterday but not quite where it was before my update. I will see what this day brings. This certainly is strange. More people are signing in, none have commented on not being able to sign in earlier.

Anyone else that has experience a slump and now are seeing an increase in numbers?
                      Maybe you should try a survey so you don't need to guess what's happening on your site? Here's a free script.

Comment

• Andy
                        • Jan 2002
                        • 4.1.x

My numbers have remained consistent.

I created a poll asking how the members like the new vB4 and here are the results:

1) Like it 35%
                        2) Neutral 40%
                        3) Dislike it 25%

I tend to think the ones that dislike it actually like it by now, just haven't updated their vote. Yes my polls have the option to change your vote.

Comment

• Princeton
                          • Sep 2001

the site is slow and I'm on a FIOS connection
                          - forum slow
                          - CMS painfully slow

the queries on the CMS could be high for your server

you have many html errors (some browsers will render correctly while others may not)

TIP: remove/compress the 329kb cloud image header
                          your CMS page weighs a total 1.17 MB!!!

I bet your target audience all have mobile and that they are constantly on the go. Have you tried loading your site on a mobile?

TIP: remove the google map (Member Visits)

TIP: using photopost images (ie. mycockpit.org/photopost/watermark.php?file=4074) for articles increases page rendering (in other words, do not use In articles)

TIP: use Google Analytics - a free tool that everyone should use; with it you can pinpoint your problems

what I'm trying to say is...
                          your site is poorly design; you have too many things going which is making the whole site really slow

long page loads = less participation; less registration; which will lead to less revenue

Is this a coincidence or what???? and I can't figure out why. I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out, I keep telling myself it can't have anything to do vB, but, on the 13th I updated, and that's the day it dropped like a rock.

It's not only the Members signing in that I've lost, but, when looking at my site stats, that's reduced by 1/3. I'm not talking about over days, I'm talking about overnight.

Anybody else experience this, or any ideas or thoughts regarding this?

Thanks,
                          Matt Olieman
                          mycockpit.org
                          Last edited by Princeton; Mon 18 Jan '10, 12:15pm.
                          Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
                          How to Monetize Your Site

More features does NOT equal progress (Less is More)

Administrator:
                          vBulletin.org - #1 Community for vBulletin Modifications
                          allnurses.com - #1 Community for Nurses

Comment

• steven s
                            • Jul 2004
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Princeton
                            TIP: use Google Analytics - a free tool that everyone should use; with it you can pinpoint your problems
                            Not looking to hijack, but. . .
                            How does analytics help pinpoint problems?
                            ...steven
                            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• molieman
                              • Nov 2006

Princeton's advise is solid and will be taken seriously, but I agree with Steven S. Doesn't have anything to do with the loss of signed in members. If the complaint was the site is to slow, I would of been notified. Yes I did have some initial complaints regarding unable to use Mobiles, that was solved with vB 4.0.1

Comment

• vivamexico55
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by steven s
                                Not looking to hijack, but. . .
                                How does analytics help pinpoint problems?
                                Have you tried it? It's a great tool for tracking visitor usage. There's whole websites dedicated to how to use it, so you have a little reading to do. I only use the basic stuff but I know it can go pretty deep.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...