How do I add items to the new menu?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eam
    • Sep 2004

[Forum] How do I add items to the new menu?

I'd like to add some menu items to the new menu. I'm not sure what the menu is called and I can't seem to find it in the template listing, but in the forum here the items are Home, Forum, Blogs, What's New?, & Projects.

In which template is this menu found?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Here's a trick - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around your part of the code. (Sometimes the template is the one mentioned at the very top of the page source.)

You are looking for the navbar template most likely. There are several mods and a couple of articles over on vb.org regarding adding to the navtabs or the submenus.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• SiteSmarty
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.8.x

eam: I used vBH New Tabs. A plugin on vB.org. Works perfectly.
      BillStilwell.com

Comment

• eam
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Lynne
        Here's a trick - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around your part of the code. (Sometimes the template is the one mentioned at the very top of the page source.)

You are looking for the navbar template most likely. There are several mods and a couple of articles over on vb.org regarding adding to the navtabs or the submenus.
        navbar was the first one I checked but I didn't see anywhere obvious for it. I'll try that and check again - thanks.

TB - if that doesn't work I'll try the plugin - thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• eam
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by TBlogger
          eam: I used vBH New Tabs. A plugin on vB.org. Works perfectly.
          This did work perfectly - thanks. I enabled template names in HTML comments and still couldn't make heads or tails of anything.

Comment

• SnitchSeeker
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.8.x

I am wondering the same thing but need to be able to have the tab I add link to a (otherwise hidden) forum section, and then highlight when selected.

vBH New Tabs does not do that. In fact, the only thing vBH does is allow you to link to external sites or pages, which I don't need.

Anybody have any ideas or know of a solution to do this?

Comment

• eam
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SnitchSeeker
              I am wondering the same thing but need to be able to have the tab I add link to a (otherwise hidden) forum section, and then highlight when selected.

vBH New Tabs does not do that. In fact, the only thing vBH does is allow you to link to external sites or pages, which I don't need.

If the forum permissions are based on user groups you can just put a tab up with a link to the forum URL and specify which usergroups can see it.

Comment

• SnitchSeeker
                • Aug 2004
                • 3.8.x

Thanks eam,

But does it then highlight the tab when in that forum? That's pretty essential.

Comment

• eam
                  • Sep 2004

Thanks eam,

But does it then highlight the tab when in that forum? That's pretty essential.
                  It doesn't appear to. It doesn't look like it integrates with the forum in that way.

Comment

• djbaxter
                    • Aug 2006

That's not true. I'm using it. I use one new tab to link to "Today's Posts" like vB3.x used to do - that's azn internal search URL and it works fine. The tab also is highlighted when you pause over it or click it (although it doesn't stay highlighted).
                    Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                    Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by eam
                      It doesn't appear to. It doesn't look like it integrates with the forum in that way.
                      The article I wrote over on vb.org, along with ragtek's, both tell you how to write a condition to make the tab stay highlighted. You need to understand how to write a condition though.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• djbaxter
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Lynne
                        The article I wrote over on vb.org, along with ragtek's, both tell you how to write a condition to make the tab stay highlighted. You need to understand how to write a condition though.
                        What's the link for or title of that article, Lynne?
                        Last edited by djbaxter; Thu 21 Jan '10, 5:16am. Reason: Type: spelled Lynne wrond :o
                        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Like I said, I wrote it so it's listed right in my profile over there - [HOW TO - vB4] Create a New Tab in the navbar There are others in that articles forum also. A search using the term 'navbar' will probably bring them up.

Comment

• Gripi
                            • Jul 2009

looking for this, thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...