how do I change the CMS section \ categories urls to be friedlier?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yellow Slider
    • Jul 2004

[CMS] how do I change the CMS section \ categories urls to be friedlier?

What I basically want is this -

the main forum will be at www.site.com/index.php.
    the CMS page will be separated into section, lets say -

you got the idea, the articles under each section will be

this is what I want to do.
    we don't need to content.php part in the url.. it's much more professional like I asked.

and please don't just tell me "ModRewrite"

Thanks.
  • Yellow Slider
    • Jul 2004

it's in page 3, I hope I'll get support soon.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2009
      • 5.5.x

We spent some time trying to figure out a way to make this work during the CMS development, but we couldn't figure a way that would work with all servers, give the flexibility that the current system does for arbitrary section hierarchies, and give reasonable response. Sorry, but a custom mod rewrite is the only way to do this.
      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• Yellow Slider
        • Jul 2004

Thanks for the comment, If there was a good guide on how to use your variables with a custom mod rewrite we could have done this our self.
        are you going to release something like that?

Thanks.

Comment

• Yellow Slider
          • Jul 2004

Would be nice to get one last reply

Comment

• Carnage-
            • Jan 2005
            • 3.8.x

The way the CMS urls are currently working is in need of improvment... however when you go around customising everything, the mod rewrite rules have to be updated as well; untill vbulletin 4 has finished being refactored, it won't be easy to provide very customisable urls. I've been able to customise some of the urls in the system and am working on what else can be done - a lot of changes seem to have been made to the rewrite system in 4.0.1; i'm hoping I may have more to work with now.
            Some of my Mods:
            Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
            Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
            Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
            Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

• Yellow Slider
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Carnage-
              The way the CMS urls are currently working is in need of improvment... however when you go around customising everything, the mod rewrite rules have to be updated as well; untill vbulletin 4 has finished being refactored, it won't be easy to provide very customisable urls. I've been able to customise some of the urls in the system and am working on what else can be done - a lot of changes seem to have been made to the rewrite system in 4.0.1; i'm hoping I may have more to work with now.
              this is exactly what I'm afraid of, changes.
              if I'll write my own rules and vB will upgrade the way the system work I can have major problems with my urls and SEO..

What should we do?

Comment

• Yellow Slider
                • Jul 2004

bump.

Comment

• arlarson
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Edwin Brown
                  We spent some time trying to figure out a way to make this work during the CMS development, but we couldn't figure a way that would work with all servers, give the flexibility that the current system does for arbitrary section hierarchies, and give reasonable response. Sorry, but a custom mod rewrite is the only way to do this.
                  I would appreciate your working toward this end, even if for now the officially supported solution is only available on a limited number of platforms.

First, the product would be a lot better with this functionality - and I suspect that you know that, or you wouldn't have invested the time trying to implement it.

Second, as future changes to the software can break a custom mod rewrite, a custom solution carries a substantial risk. Given the choice between jury-rigging a CMS and implementing a CMS that has the feature set I want, I prefer the latter.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...