X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PossumX
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Color Scheme when upgrading to vB4

Quick question. When you perform an upgrade to vB4, does it completely reset your color scheme? I don't have a custom skin or anything, just customized colors. Are those retained, or do they get wiped out?
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

They will be retained provided you've only used the StyleVars to edit these. If you've edited the css templates themselves then the changes may get merged in with the new templates during the upgrade although AdminCP will advise if this is the case or not.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• PossumX
      • Oct 2006
      • 4.1.x

OK then, I should be OK from this view when I upgrade (still a couple of months off more than likely), due to other integrations.

Non of my color changes were done at a CSS template level, only via the Style Variables in vB 3.x when I first set it up a few years back.

This is good news!!

Comment

• jacobsen1
        • Dec 2007
        • 3.6.x

none of my color changes were done in the css and I lost my entire style. I was stuck in blue/white vb hell for a few hours. I came from 3.6.8 though, so maybe that's the difference? I had a few tweaks to some template files (header, footer, etc) that added links to things which I knew would go away, but yeah, my forum went completely to the OEM style and my old styles were "locked out" in the admin CP (it just says they don't work with 4). I'd highly recomend a test install JUST to play with the new stylevar/style system so you can take a day and get it done w/o a gun to your head. It's not that hard to do, but it's different so it takes a while even if you know what you want to do. Search around for the guides too as they help a bit, then use FF with firebug to help you find what you're looking for in terms of the stylevar name. Some things MUST be done in the .css though as not everything is a stylevar and sometimes the same stylevar is used for a few things you won't want the same color...

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

For clarity - If the upgrade was between vb4 versions then the changes will be retained.

Upgrades from 3.x will not and the changes will need to be redone.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• PossumX
            • Oct 2006
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
            For clarity - If the upgrade was between vb4 versions then the changes will be retained.

Upgrades from 3.x will not and the changes will need to be redone.
            So to be sure I am clear. I will eventually be upgrading from 3.8.4 to 4.0.x

This being the case, I will have to rework all the colors after the vB4 upgrade to be as they are now on on vB 3.8.4 (no skin, just colors). Is this what you are saying Trevor?

Unfortunate, but understandable. I have been playing with vB4 for weeks on my test site, and have yet to be able to get the color scheme to match.

Comment

• jacobsen1
              • Dec 2007
              • 3.6.x

^ yes, that is correct.

get firefox and firebug though, they help a TON. Also find the pdfs about it (there's one for each section than another one for a specific blog), they were a big help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...